Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions SNMP MIBs

r-barbosa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have questions regarding the use of SNMP in routers. For example, I have a router and get an FXO card, and would monitor the statistical data of this new interface. How would it be? I have to add the MIB of the same? or is already included in the IOS?

Reggards

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once you've loaded an IOS image supporting your hardware modules, it will generally include support for the SNMP-managed objects on those modules. Your management tool may need to have updated MIBs integrated into it for it to be able to parse and otherwise manipulate the MIB variables.

In the case of CiscoWorks, device package updates add management functionality and support for new hardware and software features in the managed devices. For something like an HP OpenView, you get less functionality (in my opinion) and need to load the new MIBs in more directly.

There is a good overview of how this works specific to Cisco's Unified SRST MIB at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/mib/reference/guide/srst_mib.html

See also http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf014.html for a good overview/information on configuring SNMP support.

Hi, mklemovitch

Let me get this straight, attached my thoughts to see if I'm correct. For example I have a router that has a basic IOS, add a router in the same FXO card and I update the IOS supports it to the plate (with an IOS callmanager express), after that when enable the snmp server, it automatically creates the mib and generates statistical data. After that no need to load the MIB files, such as CISCO-CCM-MIB.my, correct?. I would have to carry them only on the management (eg HP OpenView), but taking into account that the station management executed only SNMP GET and SET instructions, whether I'm on a solaris and execute the commands "snmpwalk-c public -v 2c "ip_router" "path of OID for any object in mib CISCO-CCM-MIB.my" not work only specifying the OID? without the need to load the MIB in solaris? thanks for the help and explanation in previous post :)

Regards

There is no need to load the MIB file (*.my) in the router itself.

I believe you can extract "raw" information using, as you gave in example, a tool like snmpwalk. You'd have greater amount of work/research to do that as you'd have to query a specific OID.

Doing some of that parsing and other work for you is some of the value that a higher order tool set like Openview (or Solarwinds Orion, or Spiceworks...) gives you when you compile a given MIB into the tool. With such a tool, items of interest are more readily extracted and presented in readable form as opposed to raw data from a direct snmp get query.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: