6500 PFC3/QOS - Policer when doing ports are set vlan-based qos

Unanswered Question
Apr 29th, 2009
User Badges:

6500 - sup32- version 12.2(33)SXH

Does the policer is done over the vlan aggregated traffic or it will be compute over the traffic coming in from individual vlan member port ?

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
robetrem Wed, 04/29/2009 - 12:04
User Badges:

We have a 6509 aith 8x48 ports. I was thinking putting a service-policy by port to rate limit and mark the trafic.

After 112 ports where the policy are applied, I reached 1022 aggregated policy used (sh platform hardware capacity qos)!! Starting at port 3/17 I have a message saying Counter not installed ... when I do a show policy-map interface

I thought that Vlan-based QOS could help but microflow policer capacity is less so I don't know ?

Edison Ortiz Wed, 04/29/2009 - 12:22
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

We ran into that issue on a recent customer deployment. The problem is that each policy applied to a port will use an agg-id and the hardware limit is 1023.

I covered that scenario on this thread http://tinyurl.com/c6j73c

HTH,

__

Edison.

robetrem Wed, 04/29/2009 - 12:42
User Badges:

Ok that my problem, so if I do microflow Vlan-Based QOS - I should be able to simulate the port policer without that agg-id problem ??

It seem that Vlan-Based QOS does not use AGG-ID like Port-Based QOS do ?

Edison Ortiz Wed, 04/29/2009 - 12:52
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Correct.

robetrem Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:02
User Badges:

I have implemented vlan-based QOS putting Microflow policer on vlan.

I am able to remark (dscp) the traffic with the policer command, but I have no statistics from the command sh policy-map interface vlan and

worst then that no packet are being drop !

Have any ideas ?

Edison Ortiz Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:06
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

You are dealing with switches, so you need to use show mls qos ip command for output.

__

Edison.

robetrem Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:36
User Badges:

Does this tell you microflow policing is acting ok (check the attach file)?

Note : When I was doing policer without microflow the command sh policy-map interface was giving the statistics !

robetrem Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:14
User Badges:

Thanks for all the answers - it is coming good for me

I have activate Netflow to see the stats.

I am using a policer on ip-src-only. From the doc it seem that we can have 64000 flow by policer.

I suppose that the Netflow table size will limit the number total of flows. have you an idea of how the Netflow table can get ?

Actions

This Discussion