Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - Controller Template

sblavanya
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm a lil new to WCS.. I have upgraded my WCS now, to 5.1.64... WCS already has a couple of controllers mapped with around 40 LWAPP's....

I see a mismatch in the WLC-WCS configuration, on the controller template.. When I change the template configuration on the WCS, does it update the WLC's in any way ? what i'm cautious about is, I dont want to disturb anything with the running WLC's, by changing something on the WCS...

I also have 2 new controllers added to WCS.. I need to configure controller templates for these.. Can i directly configure this, and associate the new WLC's to the new template? Again, will controller template in WCS be applied to the new WLC's ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Raj,

In that case, you can add the new controllers to WCS using RO SNMP community strings. Then go to Configure --> Controllers and check the box next to one of the controller. From the commands menu select 'Discover templates from Controller'. This will automatically create templates in WCS based on the configuration of the controller you selected. Follow the same process for all controllers.

As you would be using RO community strings, WCS would not make any changes. You will now be able to audit correctly.

--

Pushkar

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Under config| controllers |

check the box next to your controllers and then select refresh config from controller from the pull down menu on the right.

It will ask you if you want to retain or delete the config changes on WCS vs the WLC. I have always chosen to delete the changes on WCS, trusting the config on the WLC to be more accurate and as instructed by Cisco.

As far as the templates go, are you talking about provisioning controllers?

If they are added to WCS already, then they have a basic config already and then you can associate the templates to the new WLCs. Don't forget to save the config to flash on the WLCs

Hello Eric

The controllers are already provisioned.. There were 2 WLC's which were already added onto the controller templates, amd i'm adding 2 new WLC's now. For the new WLC's I dont have a templated defined and I wanted to create one.. WHen creating the template it asks me to assign the template to a set of controllers.. now, if I assign to the WLC will the WCS make any config changes onto the WLC ?

Are the template configurations only for audit purpose or will it be used to change configurations on a WLC device ?

Regarding your first point "refresh config from controller", if I disable this, will the audit functionality cease too ?

The configs on the controller will only change if the templates in WCS are already applied to the controllers.

Go to Configure --> Controller Templates on the WCS. Check if the template you need to modify is applied to any controllers. If it is applied, any modifications you make will push the changes to the controller.

--

Pushkar

Thanks Pushkar

There are a couple of WLC's for which the templates have been associated.. Those have the SNMP RW strings too..

I have 3 new WLC's added to the WCS, as told before and I have added those onto the WCS.. I dont want the wcs to do configuration changes, and just to do audits if possible.. Under this circumstance, can i configure templates directly on the WCS, based on the existing configuration of the WLC, with a SNMP RO string on the WCS ? With RO I'll make sure I dont disturb the existing configs of the WLCs with changes done to WCS.. Is my understanding right ?

Raj

Raj,

In that case, you can add the new controllers to WCS using RO SNMP community strings. Then go to Configure --> Controllers and check the box next to one of the controller. From the commands menu select 'Discover templates from Controller'. This will automatically create templates in WCS based on the configuration of the controller you selected. Follow the same process for all controllers.

As you would be using RO community strings, WCS would not make any changes. You will now be able to audit correctly.

--

Pushkar

Thanks Pushkar..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: