cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failover of trunking links when intermediate switch doesn't support LLS

xavier.walker
Level 1
Level 1

I have a design issue which I'm not too sure how to solve.

Essentially, I am in the process of setting up a single network to spread over two physical sites which are linked together by a long distance link.

Each site has a VSS Cisco and my idea was to implement an LACP trunk across both intersite links - see attachment.

My concern is that the intersite switching devices do not support Link Loss Forwarding, so should one of the intersite links go down, I'm not sure how the LACP would manage because the interface on the Cisco is still up (just no traffic possible).

In the attached schematic, the link between Intersite A-1 and Intersite B-1 has gone down (red line), yet the link on the Cisco switches (Te-A1 and Te-B1) are still up.

What is the best way of managing this? L3 routing between the sites would be tricky because each side has devices which need to be on the same VLAN and receive broadcast traffic so I guess routing is not easy. Devices connected on Cisco VSS Site A need to see devices connected to Cisco VSS Site B on the same VLAN.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Xavier

4 Replies 4

xavier.walker
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, now with attachment.

xavier.walker
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Thanks

Can anyone provide any insight into this please?

Could UDLD do anything of help for you?

Just a thought as I have not had the time to look deeper into it yet.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card