524SG Firmware, Label on line button 4

Unanswered Question

I am having an issue with the new 524SG phones. The label that is configured on button 4 on all the phones is being cut off at 4 characters. It doesnt matter what the label is, and happens to all phones. All other buttons are fine, just button 4 is cut off. I have an open case with TAC, and they are 'looking into it'. I'm hoping someone  here has seen this before.

Also, i heard that there is a newer firmware out than the ones that the 524s are shipping with. If this is true, where is it? i cannot find the 524 under Cisco's downloads page (only the 525, and all the other Cisco and Linksys phones).

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Skyler Spence Wed, 04/29/2009 - 15:05

This response to your first question is quoted from one of our software engineers, Erin Zhu:

"This is by design, due to the limitation of the screen size (128*64) of CP-5XXG phones.

The SCCP Prompt shares the same screen area with button 4 label. We need to allow enough space for the prompt.

When the phone has button 4 configured, we reserve the left most 96 pixels for prompt, and remaining 32 pixels for button 4 label"

Thanks for the info, that is what I figured. This may be obvious, but can you submit a feature request for me to update the firmware of the 5XX phones to resolve this issue? There has got to be a way to dynamicaly allocate screen size based on the system message length. For instance, my system message is 3 characters. So there is a LOT of empty space on that line. It seems silly that the button label is cut off at 4 characters with all that free space.

Steven Smith Wed, 04/29/2009 - 15:15

I believe that line is also used for the System message and can only be a few characters long.

The latest firmware for the 524 is the 8-1-13 load.  It is included with the 7.0.2 pack.

Marcos Hernandez Wed, 04/29/2009 - 15:20

I understand and I agree this poses a problem. The enhancement, however, would touch multiple places like CME and IP Phone firmware (SPCP), making it a complicated corner case. Just to set the right expectations, I don't think we would treat this as high priority.

Thanks a lot for your patience and understanding.

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Marcos Hernandez Wed, 04/29/2009 - 15:08

What you are seeing is expected behavior. The screen real estate has less pixel count on that line, in order to leave room for the system message.

The latest 524 software is included with the official release packs on https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9829

However, we do have a newer version that corrects some issues, but it is not available to the public yet. What problem are you trying to solve?

This Discussion