cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG202 Fax

balukr
Level 2
Level 2

I have small issue with VG202 customer has CM 6.1.3. I configured this VG202 with SCCP. New fax machines in and out works fine but some old fax machine outbound works fine but not inbound it just rings and rings.

In Call Manager Fax relay is enabled and Modem passthrough is disabled.

Here is the config I have on the VG

stcapp register capability 0/0 both

stcapp register capability 0/1 both

stcapp ccm-group 1

stcapp

!

stcapp feature access-code

!

stcapp feature speed-dial

!

!

!

stcapp call-control mode feature

!

!

!

!

voice service voip

fax protocol t38 nse ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco

!

voice-card 0

!

archive

log config

hidekeys

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address dhcp

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

!

ip forward-protocol nd

!

no ip http server

no ip http secure-server

!

control-plane

!

voice-port 0/0

timeouts initial 60

timeouts interdigit 60

timeouts ringing infinity

!

voice-port 0/1

timeouts initial 60

timeouts interdigit 60

timeouts ringing infinity

!

ccm-manager fax protocol cisco

ccm-manager config server x.x.x.x

ccm-manager sccp local FastEthernet0/0

!

mgcp fax t38 ecm

!

sccp local FastEthernet0/0

sccp ccm x.x.x.x identifier 1 version 6.0

sccp ccm x.x.x.x identifier 2 version 6.0

sccp

!

sccp ccm group 1

associate ccm 1 priority 1

associate ccm 2 priority 2

!

!

dial-peer voice 1000 pots

service stcapp

port 0/0

!

dial-peer voice 1001 pots

service stcapp

port 0/1

Please let me know if there is any setting I can change to fix this old fax machine inbound problem.

I tried MGCP I had the same issue.

Thanks for your help in advance.

5 Replies 5

When the fax machine rings, if you manually pick it up does the call work?

If you put an analog phone where the fax machine is, does it work?

If you call the fax machine from an IP phone, does it pick up at all?

This may not be related to fax at all. Some older telephony devices require a larger ring voltage associated with a higher voltage from older telephony days, and do not detect the ringing voltage of new digital devices. There are third party devices made by companies called 'ring boosters' that will increase the ring voltage.

hth,

nick

Nick,

Thanks for your response. I did called from an IP phone it just rings and rings and there is no option to pick up a call from fax but it work's if I connect an analog phone or to a new fax machine. Just this old fax machine to be particular OKI Data Express 5600 (I think!) is not working.

This sam efax machines work if I connect to a ATA though ..does this help if it works on ATA it should work on VG202 or do you still think it may be an voltage issue.

What is the vlotage you get from these VG202's ?

Thanks for your help again.

Based on the datasheet for this:

Ring Voltage

50Vrms into 5 REN at zero loop length (balanced) if no DC offset

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps2250/ps5516/product_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

It doesn't look like the ATA lists it's ringing voltage, but it's quite possibly just a bit higher. There is a card called the VIC3-2FXS/DID-E that was released for analog devices because it was able to offer higher voltages and currents for legacy devices.

hth,

nick

I don't think I can ask the customer to buy all these VIC3 cards .They need lot of ports and don't think that will work.

I tried MGCP with modem passthrough and changed even the baud rate on fax machine to 9600 still didn't work.

I'm sure lot of customers must be using this for fax hope some one had same issue and resolved it.

Thanks.

This is a new box, and having legacy devices with voltage problems is something that has been addressed many times with the VG224 platform which is mostly equivalent to the VG202/204.

The general policy is:

1) Use the VIC3 card

2) Buy a ring booster

3) Replace the legacy devices

You can try opening a TAC case to get more details, but you're more than likely looking at one of the above.

-nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: