cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controllers rebooting

Victor Fabian
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 controllers each are part of a different module (WiSM) and both keep rebooting (not at the same time) , both module are located within the same chassis.

When this started i had version 4.2.99 so i upgraded to 4.2.176 but it keeps doing it.

I also reseated both.

Any suggestions???

Thank you

Vic

11 Replies 11

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

What is the IOS on the 6500?

Also, what power supplies are installed?

How many total blades are in the chassis?

what do the following cmds on the 6500 show?

show module

sh wism status

sh wism module controller <1 or 2> status

sh power available

sh power redundancy-mode

sh power used

sh power total

sh module power

sh module

and of course, sh logg

you may want to also debug wism events and debug wism wcp

On the wisms,

do a show running-config

under management|tech support|click on controller Crash.

and look at syslogs too

My 1st guess is that the new code draws more power from the chassis and you have exceeded the power budget of the pwr supplies installed

I noticed you mention that it might be a power issue because of the new code , but the thing is that it was also rebooting with the old code 4.2.99 as well now we have 4.2.176 , the most interesting thing is that we had those modules running for almost a year before they started rebooting .

We haven't changed anything in terms of the software is concern.

I have attached some of the information you requested

I ran into a very strange issue with one of my 4402 WLC's before. After a WCS server upgrade, one of the WLC's would reboot every 45 minutes. Very odd. I was able to remedy the problem by going onto the the WCS server and telling it to refresh config from controllers (delete if different). There must have been a discrepancy between the WCS server and the WLC. Haven't had any issues since... I know the 4402 is a standalone controller and not a Wism, but if you can verify that the reboots aren't power related, you may want to check into that option if you have a WCS server. This was noticed on the 4.0 and 4.1 WCS code; I tried updating the WCS version first but it didn't solve the problem...

I actually upgraded the WCS version pretty much the same day that i upgraded the WiSM from 4.2.62.0 to 4.2.110.0 . how can i check whether WCS has a different configuration that the one that the controller has .

Thank you

I'm using the 4.2 WCS code, but I'd imagine the steps are very similar across similar code versions.

1. Once you login, go to CONFIGURE --> CONTROLLERS

2. Highlight the check box next to the controller you want to sync.

3. Then choose the "refresh config from controller" option from the "Choose a command" drop down link.

4. Choose the delete option.

This will send the config from the WLC to the WCS database, making them the same...

Hope this helps!

Craig

kfccolonel
Level 1
Level 1

With a WiSM, you should have a defined WiSM 'service' vlan in an unrouted range for WiSM to 6500 communications.

Make sure that vlan is NOT trunked anywhere. Remove that vlan from other trunks.

This solved my sporadic WiSM reboot issues.

Not even trunk to the controllers interfaces

????

Have you checked the crash log on the controller? Over the last few years i have had a few controller reboot on their own. It was found later to be a bad run of controllers. Each time there was a info in the crash log.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

There was nothing on the crash log

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vic,

May I suggest that you move one of the two WiSM to a different slot?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: