cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Voip, question on extenstion assignment

aaronfb717
Level 1
Level 1

One you have your ephone-dn set up in IOS and you want to assign that extension number to an ephone, is the only way to do this through using the "button 1:xx" command while in config for that ephone?

We have 524gs phones and I am looking for a better way to assign extensions to them without using the 4 programmable line/extension buttons.

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only way to assign a DN to a phone is with the "button" command. Not sure what you had in mind other than using the line buttons?

Brandon

I am trying to assign an extension number to a phone without using one of it's buttons. Seems a bit odd to have to program a phone's button with it's own extension number, how often do people call themselves :)

Good point. However, this is also the means of assigning a "line" to the phone in order to make outgoing calls.

Brandon

I understand, so aside from using the "button 1:x" command there is no way to program an ephone so it know what extension it is?

Seems like Cisco should make a "button 0:x" command so people do need to waste one of their programmable buttons.

No, you have to use the "button 1:x" command.

Brandon

I see your point about programing a phone button with it's own extension number, but think of it this way. Your house/apartment/place of residence has an address. How often do you mail stuff to yourself? You don't. Your address is so others can find/mail stuff to you. In the same way your extension assigned to a button is a way for people to call you.

Hope this helps. Please rate if this does.

Yea, but when you buy a house they don't tell you that although it has four walls, you can only use 3, one needs to be reserved for your address...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: