cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Voip, question on extenstion assignment

aaronfb717
Level 1
Level 1

One you have your ephone-dn set up in IOS and you want to assign that extension number to an ephone, is the only way to do this through using the "button 1:xx" command while in config for that ephone?

We have 524gs phones and I am looking for a better way to assign extensions to them without using the 4 programmable line/extension buttons.

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only way to assign a DN to a phone is with the "button" command. Not sure what you had in mind other than using the line buttons?

Brandon

I am trying to assign an extension number to a phone without using one of it's buttons. Seems a bit odd to have to program a phone's button with it's own extension number, how often do people call themselves :)

Good point. However, this is also the means of assigning a "line" to the phone in order to make outgoing calls.

Brandon

I understand, so aside from using the "button 1:x" command there is no way to program an ephone so it know what extension it is?

Seems like Cisco should make a "button 0:x" command so people do need to waste one of their programmable buttons.

No, you have to use the "button 1:x" command.

Brandon

I see your point about programing a phone button with it's own extension number, but think of it this way. Your house/apartment/place of residence has an address. How often do you mail stuff to yourself? You don't. Your address is so others can find/mail stuff to you. In the same way your extension assigned to a button is a way for people to call you.

Hope this helps. Please rate if this does.

Yea, but when you buy a house they don't tell you that although it has four walls, you can only use 3, one needs to be reserved for your address...