cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6, OS upgrade from 2000 to 2003

shamrockfoods
Level 1
Level 1

I have read the upgrade Q&A's on OS upgrades (which there are maybe one, pretty basic) and don't see any apparent issue with running an upgrade to 2K3 with LMS 2.6 already installed.

I still need to ask the forum if anybody has done this and how it went. Any caveats, everything work OK after the upgrade?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Honestly, I wouldn't do this. What I would do is take a backup of LMS 2.6, then uninstall it. Then install Windows 2003, then reinstall and repatch LMS 2.6. Once it's back up to the previous level, restore the backup. While this may seem like more work, it can help avoid potential problems down the road. When reinstalling LMS, make sure to do the following:

* Set the TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:

\WINDOWS\TEMP).

* Disable anti-virus and security software.

* Set Windows Data Execution Protection to be active for essential

windows files only.

* Login on the server's console as a local Administrator.

* Install from locally mounted original media.

thanks Jclarke,

I do need to get rid of some un-deletable devices in CS, and from what I understand only a freshly built DB can do this (they don't show up in DCRCLI but do in the 'not in ACS' report).

Is there a stripped down export/import routine I could use to transfer to a parallel install running on Win2K3?

I would like devices and config archives really, all alerts and history can be left behind.

thanks

The only way to export this data is to do a full LMS backup and restore. If you want to clean up DCR some, I recommend you temporarily break ACS integration, clean up DCR, then re-enable it.

Going back to this option Jclarke, I have to start with LMS 2.1 as that is the only full install I have. Then I have to go to 2.5.1 then to 2.6.

To install 2.1 requires Windows 2000 so that is where I'm at now. I have not imported anything or done really any configuring. I plan on repopulating all devices manually and duplicating any custom alerts in DFM and RME AA's.

At what point should I upgrade to Win2K3? After the 2.5.1 install?

I don't plan on adding any devices until its fully upgraded and patched on OS and LMS.

thanks

Going back to this option Jclarke, I have to start with LMS 2.1 as that is the only full install I have. Then I have to go to 2.5.1 then to 2.6.

To install 2.1 requires Windows 2000 so that is where I'm at now. I have not imported anything or done really any configuring. I plan on repopulating all devices manually and duplicating any custom alerts in DFM and RME AA's.

At what point should I upgrade to Win2K3? After the 2.5.1 install?

I don't plan on adding any devices until its fully upgraded and patched on OS and LMS.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: