DHCP on Wireless Controller?

Unanswered Question
Apr 30th, 2009
User Badges:

I'm considering configuring DHCP on our Wireless Controller (4402-50) for our Management VLAN will include the Lightweight Access Points.

Usually I configured DHCP on our Cisco routers/switches with options 43 and 60, which will instruct the WAPs which WLC to register with.

Well the WLC doesn't have anything in terms of setting up options.

Do I still need that if the DHCP server is the actual WLC itself? Or do I still need to specify those options (hence another DHCP server is needed)?

Please advise?

Thank you!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

I believe that the DHCP server on the WLC's themselves are for the clients and not for the Mgmt VLAN for the AP's. So, you're better off just creating the DHCP scope for the WAP's on your router with option 60/43 unless all your AP's and the AP Manager/Management interface on your controller are on the same network. At that point, you don't even need to define options.

George Stefanick Sun, 05/03/2009 - 06:20
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

Typical installs, you do not DHCP your management interfaces. You would be better static on these.

Specific to the APs, it would be best to put these in their own VLAN. I have not used the controller for AP DHCP, but i wouldnt see why it would not work. But i have never done it personally.

Scott Fella Sun, 05/03/2009 - 06:57
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You can setup a dhcp on the wlc for the ap's to obtain an IP Address, but I would only do this if you are staging the ap's then I would disable the scope. As long as the AP's are on the same subnet as the wlc management and ap-managers interface, there is no need for option 43 or dns to resolve the ip of the wlc. If you setup the dhcp on the management, make sure you specify the ip address for the dhcp server (mangement ip of the wlc) on th emanagement interface primary dhcp.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode