mcs or non mcs

Answered Question
May 1st, 2009
User Badges:

are they any benefits using MCS hardware over IBM or HP own servers?

Correct Answer by Rob Huffman about 8 years 1 month ago

Hey Dave,

I do prefer using Cisco branded MCS servers over the non-MCS versions primarily due to support issues. If you are having a problem that may be server related and open a TAC case you won't be referred to the 3rd party (HP or IBM) for resolution. There is "ownership" within the case with MCS boxes. I have also found that the Hardware testing/verification phase of the install goes much smoother with the Cisco branded servers. We do know that both MCS and non-MCS boxes are supported for installs, so this is just my preference :)

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Dennis Mink Fri, 05/01/2009 - 04:01
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Even if there were, installing CUCM or CUPS on it will not get passed the hardware check on installation. So installing them on non Cisco branded servers is not an option

Correct Answer
Rob Huffman Fri, 05/01/2009 - 04:31
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hey Dave,

I do prefer using Cisco branded MCS servers over the non-MCS versions primarily due to support issues. If you are having a problem that may be server related and open a TAC case you won't be referred to the 3rd party (HP or IBM) for resolution. There is "ownership" within the case with MCS boxes. I have also found that the Hardware testing/verification phase of the install goes much smoother with the Cisco branded servers. We do know that both MCS and non-MCS boxes are supported for installs, so this is just my preference :)

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Jonathan Schulenberg Fri, 05/01/2009 - 10:13
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

If you do decide to go with direct HP or IBM servers, be sure to review the following link carefully. It contains the proper part numbers and ordering instructions to get the "exact equivalent" hardware to be supported.

http://cisco.com/go/swonly

jebrooker Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:18
User Badges:

I've found the IBM or HP correct part numbers are getting more and more difficult to find. As Cisco releases new server specs, those part numbers are usually already discontinued with the manufacturer.

Jonathan Schulenberg Mon, 05/11/2009 - 14:06
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Cisco has documented all of the part numbers (see my previous posting in this thread). The part numbers are frequently hidden to the average HP rep but are orderable if you know them and follow the process exactly.

Actions

This Discussion