Views
Helpful
Replies

Set maximum utilization of a link between servers

pganet123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a network with 2 sites - with a 200Mbit link between them. At each site, I have the same kind of server, and they are replicating data, unfortunately they have to do this in the middle of our working hours, which causes a lot of package loss on the link. The servers are utilizing all the bandwith.

Can I somehow set a maximum for how much traffic the 2 servers can push through the link? Lets say I only want them to push 100Mbit through.

I know this could be achieved at the server side in most situations, but these servers does not offer that option.

And I know it maybe sounds stupid, but these servers have to replicate in the working hours.

Probably there are a lot of ways to accomplish this, so if you would be so kind to paste a link where I can obtain the propriate information.

Many many thanks in advance

/Peter

4 Replies 4

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on the type of equipment you have on each of the link you may be best to create a QoS policy that will police the bandwidth between these two servers..

Might be more information on LAN/WAN switching forums..

Good luck

Thanks for the reply, Bluey.

I will dig a bit deeper into QoS, and have a look at the forum you are referring to.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use IP qos commands, e.g., Traffic-shape Rate. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/qos/command/reference/qrdcmd5.html#wp1020005 for examples.

Depending on yor platform, you may be able to narrow your policy down to the microflow level and use user based rate limiting commands such as those listed here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1327746

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks mklemovitch

I think these links are of great assistance. I will try to build something from them in next week.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: