cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reg: (UC500 )Extension Mobility for VPN users (IP Communicator)

govind.mane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need help regarding the Following cofiguration.

Can we configure extension mobilty for VPN user who are using the IP Soft Phone.

Please send me the confiuration example.

Thanks.

Govind

6 Replies 6

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

I am a little confused by the request.  Extension Mobility is usually used in an office with a shared work space and phones.  For the VPN users, why not just setup the phone to be exactly like the users phone in the office.  No extension mobility would be needed.

It my help if you lets us know why you are trying to do this so that we could help you more.

Hi Steven

I actually have the same requirement. We have a bunch of users that are on and off the offices so would like to set them up so they can have the same extension on their ip communicator and physical phone if possible so they both can be used whether they are at the office or out and about

Shared line approach seems to create problems on the voicemail side because it creates GDM as opposed to normal (personal) voicemail box which means they don't get red light notification or IMAP outlook integration.

Option I am considering is to have IP communicators defiined as another extension and use call forwarding or mobility mode. Is there another way to achieve this?

Thanks, Aleks

You can use an octo-dn and assign it to button 1 on different phones. This however, is not valid config for CCA 2.0, under the 'Voice" tab.

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

A colleague of mine had some comments about my last post and I thought I'd clarify. If you select the "Shared" option in CCA, you can share the same extension across different phones, but these will be dual line DN's, not octo. That's what I meant by "not supported by CCA". Although you can only handle two calls in this mode, this should do what you want.

Thanks,

Marcos

Just for my own clarity; if we use Mobility and have the number different on the phone and softphone, can you not setup mobility to use the primary phone's voicemail if neither the "hard" or softphone pickup?

Thanks

Hi guys. Thanks for your input.

Shared line approach brings the inconvenience of the GDM which is why it is not really an option for our scenario. People will be confused with their voicemail spread between GDM and personal voicemail and former having no direct notification capability.

As far as mobility goes, yes that is an option but unfortunately cannot use it for those users who are in hunt groups, according to CCA so the option that I am thinking about is noan forwarding set up on the main extension to softphone extension and noan/busy forwarding on the softphone set up to main extensions voicemail (direct VM transfer feature as supposed to just regular VM extension). VM monitoring could be done via IMAP (need VPN anyway) against the main VM number. Not sure whether we will go with this, need to have chat with users....

Do you guys have a "best practice" approach for this scenario which I would have thought would be fairly common?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: