cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pre-configure blade in Cat6500

h.parsons
Level 3
Level 3

How do I configure blades in a Cat 6500 that are not installed. I am configuring a supervisor for one of my 6500's to replace an existing sup and I don't want to build a entire switch just to configure the sup. The new sup is running v12.2(18)

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can build the config in notepad, tftp to flash, then once the cards are installed, merge the file into the running config and save.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that helps but I was thinking there was a way to do this but it may be in the CatOS that this is available.

it's a pitty you can't provision blades like you do with stacking switches.

More of a pity you can't UN-PROVISION a blade that's been removed without reinserting the blade, adding "module clear-config", and then pulling it back out!!!

if you remove a blade, the configuration is removed from the running-configuration, if you do a write to startup then it's also gone from startup config.

Or do you mean something else?

The config is only removed if the line "module clear config" is in the config.

This is handy for removing a config when you remove a linecard, it's kind of a downer when you're just replacing a failed linecard. (Copy start -> Run would effectivly reprovision this, but you'd need to do no-shuts, I think.)

It'd be nice to have some other method of removing a ghost config from a running box. If you take a linecard out when you don't have "module clear-config" in place, that config just hangs out and there appears to be no way of removing it, short of a reboot or other shenanigans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card