Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity or Unity Connection ? which one to choose

rdianat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I need feedback and opinion from those of you who have worked with both Unity and Unity connection. I have only worked with Unity and I am new to Unity Connection. Currently I have Unity 5 and I want to move to Unity 7. I have learned about Unity connection and like the idea of being independent from MS mailstores and active directory. I have always felt the pain when installing Unity and the need to work with AD and exchange admin in case of a Unity problem.

Please tell me about your experience with Unity Connection. Does it have all the features of Unity? Would I loose any Unity function when moving to Unity Connection? Have you experienced new problems with Unity Connection which did not exist in Unity? I am in a 1000 user environment.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ViewMail Outlook, although most people know it by Voice Mail Only.

CUC 7.X offers the same outlook plugin as Unity to listen to VMs

new CUC versions will also allow the FW feature on which you can receive regular VMs and store them or send them to another VM account you have

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if you need UM you will need to use Unity and still feel the pain of having AD and Exchange

CUC is more focused on VMO and since it has been built from scratch it adapts quite nicely with CUCM, if you need to segment users it has CSS and partitions (Unity will never have this)

there are several capabilities that the systems do not share (and in all probabilities never will)

take a look at this doc

Cisco Messaging Products: Feature Comparison

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps2237/product_data_sheet0900aecd806bfc37.html

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks Java. by UM you mean only integration with outlook? Suppose I do not need to read my VM in outlook, so what else is missing in CUC?

You have send a very good url, however in this document it says VMO="ViewMail for outlook plugin." I am a little bit confused how you are using the abbreviations. "CUC is more focused on VMO"??

Thanks,

rdianat

Thanks Java. by UM you mean only integration with outlook? Suppose I do not need to read my VM in outlook, so what else is missing in CUC?

You have send a very good url, however in this document it says VMO="ViewMail for outlook plugin." I am a little bit confused how you are using the abbreviations. "CUC is more focused on VMO"??

Thanks,

rdianat

ViewMail Outlook, although most people know it by Voice Mail Only.

CUC 7.X offers the same outlook plugin as Unity to listen to VMs

new CUC versions will also allow the FW feature on which you can receive regular VMs and store them or send them to another VM account you have

HTH

java

HTH

java

So based on the url you have sent and based on what you are saying there is no main functionality missing if I move from unity 5 to cuc 7.

Thanks,

rdianat

CUC is still not really UM and it's not trying to replace Unity on that. If someone does need UM then stick with Unity, if they're trying to find a new non-UM alternative and get away from the dependencies from AD/Exchange then CUC is the way to go.

CUC can still use AD to pull users and Exchange as an off-box message store but the nasty permissions issues are gone =)

HTH

java

HTH

java