cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA to ACS: how to distinguish different authentication methods?

jkloet
Level 1
Level 1

I have SSL VPN Clients connecting to an ASA 5520 using RADIUS to a backend Cisco ACS. I want to support two authentication options for the clients. The first is a certificate combined with an Active Directory username & password. The second is a token-name & one-time-password.

Setting these two authentication methods up on the ASA is no problem ... I can configure user selectable connection profiles that have the wanted authentication settings. The ACS can handle both the AD and token credentials.

Here's the problem. I need to be able to distinguish on the ACS if a connection request was certificate authenticated or not. I don't want users choosing to do a token/OTP connection and then entering in their AD credentials instead. the ACS won't know that this AD authentication request wasn't properly combined with a certificate.

I've used NAR settings in the past to control what user databases an AAA client can authentication against, however, if the two authentication methods are coming from the same AAA client (the ASA), what can I do?

3 Replies 3

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

I guess this should be possible with a feature called NAP,( network access profiles). Here you can define which database to use for any specific request. We can filter request on the basis of attributes sent in the authentication request.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.1/user/NAPs.html

Regards,

~JG

I'll have a read through that.

Thanks,

Jeff

Any idea how I would go about setting the attributes on the authentication request coming from the ASA?

Thanks, Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: