Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CTP & DWDM 15454E ?

Hi,

im working on bringin up a 15454 dwdm chassis with OPT-PRE, OPT-BST, OSCM, 40-MUX-C, 40-DMX-C but having a bit of trouble.

I read in the procedure guide that a large part of the config is to be done via CTP and uploaded to the ONS box.

Is CTP absolutely necessary for bring up a DWDM box ?

Can a DWDM chassis be setup without CTP ?

Is CTP available for download from cisco.com ?

thanks

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When designing and turning up laser-launched optical links, it's always a good idea to double check your loss and power levels. Start with a paper-based calculation (a good overview is at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_tech_note09186a00800e6eeb.shtml). that should put you in the design range "ballpark", allowing you to prperly choose and specify the type of optics (PPMs in the case of 15454's) to use. Once you are in the field, add to that work an actual optical power measurement from a test set. Use that measured value to set your provisioned launch power levels. Finally, fine tune the values using the Provisioning and Span Loss (Maintenance > DWDM > WDM Span Check) tools in CTC.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not aware that Cisco Transport Planner (CTP) is required. It is recommended, especially for more complex installations. See the procedure guide (appendix B) for instructions on how set up without CTP. Here is a link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r8_5/dwdm/procedure/guide/d85womp.html

I've configured DWDM chassis' using CTC only. CTC, of course, is included with the ONS system software and run from your local PC.

CTP, as far as I know, is an application which is separately licensed and must accordingly be purchased from Cisco. That said, your account team has some latitude and may include a CTP license, or at least access to the tool in order to prepare your node configurations, as part of yor purchase deal.

thanks - this is a straightforward DWDM point to point configuration so it should be possible without CTP. However I have a problem in adding internal patchcords manually as per instructions on the procedure guide. When I start to create the internal patchcord, there are no slots or ports to select in the config screens. So Im wodering what Im doing wrong, given that it should be possible to do without CTP file.

any ideas ?

thanks

Mark

Have you gone through all the prerequisite steps? If yes, have you tried creating an internal pachcord manually? See the procedure at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r8_5/dwdm/procedure/guide/d85ndtu.html#wp279572

Generally, if CTC is not giving you the option to create an intenal patchcord, it believes (rightly or wrongly - usually the former) that all the prerequisite steps have not been completed successfully.

thanks for the reply. i did follow the procedure guide, but I will verify it once again to ensure this. As you say it is likely that CTC doesnt like something, so going through the procedure guide will hopefully fix it.

Another question related to DWDM provisioning. In Node level, "Provisioning > WDM-ANS > Provisioning" there are a number of optical level power values. Am I correct in saying that the defaults are fine to start with and these can then be adjusted by using APC and WDM Span Check, in the abscence of obtaining such values from simulation on CTP ?

thanks youve been helpful so far and look forward to giving positive rating :-)

When designing and turning up laser-launched optical links, it's always a good idea to double check your loss and power levels. Start with a paper-based calculation (a good overview is at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/optical/ps2006/products_tech_note09186a00800e6eeb.shtml). that should put you in the design range "ballpark", allowing you to prperly choose and specify the type of optics (PPMs in the case of 15454's) to use. Once you are in the field, add to that work an actual optical power measurement from a test set. Use that measured value to set your provisioned launch power levels. Finally, fine tune the values using the Provisioning and Span Loss (Maintenance > DWDM > WDM Span Check) tools in CTC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: