cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM Upgrade Failure

orochi_yagami
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,I've tried to upgrade the NAM Application software from version 3.61b (Apps_Image)with 2.1.3 (Maintenace_Image) to version 4.0(Apps_Image)with 2.1.5(Maintenace_Image)after has succefully installed a new pair of 1GB RAM(Total 2GB now).I followed the NAM upgrade documentation which from Cisco.As the NAM running the Apps_Image,so i started to upgrade the Maintenance_Image to 2.1.5 and successful,but when the NAM running on Maintenace_Image and tried to upgrade the Apps, it fail with the error message as below and the upgrade halt:

%Application installation disk corrupted%

I don't think the harddisk is corrupted as i stil can running the older version of NAM Apps since the newer version upgrade failure.

Looking for help.

Many Thanks

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This error has never shown up before in any other service requests. I also don't find it in NAM code, so I'm not exactly sure where it's coming from. It could point to a problem with your downloaded NAM 4.0 image. You should verify the checksum of your download against the one on Cisco.com. In this case, that is:

c6svc-nam.4-0-1.bin.gz : 247d76a9ab74ef16223dbd09fb39feb1

Hi,i posted a log during the upgrade process.

root@DMZ2NAM1.xxx.xxx.xx#upgrade ftp://xxxadmin@155.69.65.47/c6svc-nam.4-0-1.bin.gz

Downloading the image. This may take several minutes...

Password for xxxadmin@155.69.65.47:

ftp://xxxadmin@155.69.65.47/c6svc-nam.4-0-1.bin.gz (84269K)

/tmp/upgrade.gz [########################] 84269K | 7674.18K/s

86291741 bytes transferred in 10.98 sec (7674.11k/sec)

Upgrade file ftp://xxxadmin@155.69.65.47/c6svc-nam.4-0-1.bin.gz is downloaded.

Upgrading will wipe out the contents on the storage media.

Do you want to proceed installing it [y|N]: y

Proceeding with upgrade. Please do not interrupt.

If the upgrade is interrupted or fails, boot into

Maintenance image again and restart upgrade.

Creating NAM application image file...

The application image hard disk is corrupt.

ERROR: Application installation has failed. View the upgrade log for details.

root@DMZ2NAM1.xxx.xxx.xx#show version

Maintenance image version: 2.1(5)

mp.2-1-5.bin : Tue Nov 11 20:29:43 GMT 2008 : integ@kplus-build-lx.cisco.com

Line Card Number :WS-SVC-NAM-1

Number of Pentium-class Processors : 2

BIOS Vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

BIOS Version: 4.0-Rel 6.0.9

Total available memory: 2020 MB

Size of compact flash: 122 MB

Size of hard disk: 38154 MB

Appreciate your help.

regards

This problem may be solved by reformatting the harddrive during installation. Try running:

upgrade ftp://xxxadmin@155.69.65.47/c6svc-nam.4-0-1.bin.gz --install

If that does not work, you will need to get an RMA replacement for this NAM module by contacting TAC.

Hi,just a quick check, if i perform the upgrade command as you mentioned above by reformatting the harddrive during upgrade, can i import back the previous save config files without additional works?

As i read the upgrade guide it indicated that the --install command will remove the partition that created previously. If this's the case, how we re-create back the partition?

Thanks in advance.

You cannot. The data will be lost.

Just to ensure another before i proceed the re-installation,can i upgrade the existing 3.61(b)NAM to version 4 without upgrading the current maintenance image which is version 2.1.3? I have another unit of NAM,so would like to try out a different upgrade approach.As per Cisco NAM upgrade doc,as long the maintenance image is version 2.1(1) and above.

regards,

Yes, this should work. Our NAM was upgraded to 4.0 on maintenance image 2.1(2).

sumitsept3
Level 1
Level 1

i too have received the same error while i was trying to upgrade the name...later i tried with adding --install to my upgrade command and it solved the issue...

upgrade ftp://xxxadmin@155.69.65.47/c6svc-nam.4-0-1.bin.gz --install

Hi,I managed to upgrade the module that given me an upgrade issue to the version 4 apps by reverting back the maintenance image from 2.1.5 to 2.1.3. And i did find out from Cisco Doc stated that 2.1.5 is only applicable for NAM-SVC-250-1 series.

HTH

Hi,

I am facing the same issue. Could someone help me with the procedure about reverting back the maintenance image from 2.1.5 to 2.1.3 ?

Thanks in advance.

REgards

Alex

Hi,

Me too I have the same issue and I could not find any documentation that explain how to revert back the maintenance image from 2.1(5) to 2.1(3) so, please if you have any information share it with us.

Regards,

Hello,

Just I got this reply from Cisco engineer it might be useful. I did not try it yet but I will do soon when I go to the customer site:

The downgrade procedure from 2.1.5 to 2.1.3 is the same as the upgrade, so, kindly follow the steps:

(1) boot the NAM to application image. (NAM usually is running in

application image, which you use to monitor network traffic.)

In IOS switch, you do "hw-module module reset hdd:1"

In CatOS switch, you do "reset hdd:1"

(2) session to NAM, do "upgrade ", then follow the prompt.

Here is the complete procedure: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_software/4.1/switch/configuration/guide/advcfg_ps5401_TSD_Products_Module_Installation_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1035678

Best Regards,

Hello,

I have did the downgrade of maintenance image for NAM from 2.1(5) to 2.1(3) then I have upgraded the application image from 3.6(1a) to 4.1(1) and its was done sucessfully so, the downgrade procedure is the same for upgrade:

<#upgrade ftp://xxxxx@x.x.x.x/ftp://xxxxx@x.x.x.x/c6svc-nam-maint.2-1-3.bin.gzc6svc-nam-maint.2-1-3.bin.gz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: