CCNA Voice, CCVP, CCNP

Unanswered Question
May 2nd, 2009

Greets,

I have been in helpdesk role for 5 years now. I am recently CCNA. In the long run, I'd may want to have a security engineer role, but first need to have a career in networking to get to that point. I suppose at this point I am little undecided on security

I have been told, my top option would be get CCNP, but first get CCNA Voice.

In looking at certs, I see there is also a CCVP cert

My questions start here.

Is CCNA Voice a good option for someone who's trying to get into networking field? What aboout CCVP, should someone get CCNP before trying CCVP?

Finally, what about learning CCNP topics with paying exam costs, then getting to CCVP? OR is CCNP more popular and in demand than CCVP? From what I'm told, CCNP can easily get knowledge to do Voice related projects, but a CCVP cannot do routing and switching related work

To start with, I suppose I should ask is Voice an interesting topic to learn, and interesting to have a career in?

ty and I will rate the comments received

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
crow930us Sat, 05/02/2009 - 14:23

If you are looking at going the Cisco route, your first option will be the CCNA. This is a requirement for CCNA voice and CCNP. If you are looking at going for the CCVP then you also need the CCNA voice. The CCNA voice & CCNA Security are relatively new certifications and I'm not sure how companies are identifying them yet.

Depending on the companies you interview with the CCNA is a good starting point for anything networking related.

A good place to start for more information on Cisco certifications will be the Cisco Learning Network (https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/index.jspa?ciscoHome=true)

hth

Rob Huffman Sat, 05/02/2009 - 17:10

Hi Mark,

First off, congrats on achieving the CCNA cert. Great work!

Given your desire to learn Networking skills first I think the CCNP might be the route to go. When you learn the Routing and Switching skills involved with the CCNP track, these skills will put you in an excellent position whether you move on to Security or Voice. You can't really go wrong with this skillset :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: Voice is a very interesting topic to learn and have career in, but it will be much better if you have the Networking skills as a base :)

mchavez99 Sun, 05/03/2009 - 08:40

Ty for comments all.

One more question here

If someone had desire to go for CCVP, which path should they take Cisco Unified Communications Manager or Cisco Unified CallManager? What's the difference between the two? Is one better to be certified in than the other? Is one more in demand than the other?

ty M Chavez

Rob Huffman Sun, 05/03/2009 - 09:00

Hi Mark,

Good stuff!

You would be better served to go the Cisco Unified Communications Manager route over the Cisco Unified CallManager path. The former is focused on the newer 6.x Communications Manager build vs the EoL 4.1 version that is studied in the Cisco Unified CallManager path.

There will be a much higher demand for Certification based on the new versions that are being deployed in today's enterprise :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion