Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy on 1841 router (Two ISP's)

diyar_eng
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys

my network is illustrated in the figure bellow.

i need to connect two ISP's to cisco "1841 router". one comes form serial cable and the other comes from Ethernet cable and make redundancy between them. if ISP 1 goes down then automatically the router will transfer the traffic to ISP 2.

also, the PC's shown bellow needs remote access from internet and routers (Router1, Router2, Router3) all needs public IP's.

note: all traffic will go through one ISP, and no load balance is implemented.

can you please tell me if this solution is possible or not on (1841 router)?

[url=http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=redundancyon1841.jpg][img=http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9052/redundancyon1841.jpg][/url]

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have your own public address space or do you have two different IP blocks, one from each provider?

Yes of course, Every ISP has its own Public IP family. also, i need to know if this will succeed on 2811 router.

thanks in advance

They run the same IOS, so the platform depends on how much traffic & services you will be running.

they run the same IOS and they handle the same traffic but the bandwidth is different

ISP 1 delivers 1024/256 kbps

ISP 2 delivers 512/128 kbps

i just need to know if this solution is applicable in routers 2811 and 1841 and how?

Regards

Either platform can handle that throughput. I don't know what you mean by how?

I meant the redundancy applied in the router 2811 Or 1841.

You can load balance OUTBOUND, but not inbound. You can create tow default routes.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP_A

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP_B

This default routes you configuration in the router redundancy:

redundancy_router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serail ISP2

redundancy_router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 faEth0/0 IPS1

Thanks for help

kplunkett512
Level 1
Level 1

The way I'd do this is to get a /24 address block from your primary ISP (whichever you choose). Use BGP routing so that remote access to your PC's will use the same public IP. To do so, you need the following:

1. AS number from carrier A and carrier B

2. Your own ASN. You can get this from ARIN by going to www.arin.net. Get an org ID, then a POC (point of contact), then request the ASN. You'll need to provide this to the carriers.

3. Let the carriers know you're multihomed.

4. install the following configuration.

router bgp {your AS number}

no synchronization

bgp log-neighbor-changes

network {network /24 from primary) mask 255.255.255.0

neighbor {serial IP to primary} remote-as {ASN of primary carrier}

neighbor {serial IP to primary} route-map SET-LOCAL in

neighbor {serial IP to backup} remote-as {ASN of backup carrier}

neighbor {serial IP to backup} route-map foo out

no auto-summary

!

ip route {network /24 from primary} 255.255.255.0 Null0

!

!

route-map SET-LOCAL permit 10

set local-preference 5000

!

route-map foo permit 5

set as-path prepend {your AS number} {your AS number} {your AS number} {your AS number}

You should be good from there. This way, if carrier A fails, the same IP block will be routed (both inbound and outbound) through carrier B. This allows easier access to your public IP's that are either NAT'd, or directly on your PC's. Let me know if you need any help or clarification. We use the config quite a bit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card