Views
Helpful
Replies

STP: forward-delay-time

mlopacinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

In STP for the first 20s (max-age) root bridge elections occur. In the same moment in which switch receives last BPDU which allow him to decide who is root bridge it also knows which are designated/non-designated ports. In this moment whole topology is converged. For all this swith have 20s. Why do we need additional 2*forward delay time(2*15s) to start forwarding packets ? Why do we need "listening phase" ? Why switch could not start forwarding/learning phase directly after topology converge ?

Thanx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Maciej,

each phase needs to stay for at least the propagation time in a 7 hops network.

Because in STP 802.1D BPDUs are sent every hello interval 2 seconds it comes 15 seconds.

7*2 +1

The objective is to prevent bridging loop.

So the two phases:

listening

learning

and the port moves from one state to another after 15 seconds.

Two switches could take a wrong decision in a lan segment because not aware of another change/decision taken in another lan segment.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Thanx, but there is no answer for my question.

If topology is created durring blocking phase (or maybe i am wrong and it is not created durring blocking phase?) .

Why do we need to wait 30s more ? I now understeand that changing many port's status might create loops but why to wait 30 seconds more, why this value ? - why not 5s or 180s ?

Hello Maciej,

each phase needs to stay for at least the propagation time in a 7 hops network.

Because in STP 802.1D BPDUs are sent every hello interval 2 seconds it comes 15 seconds.

7*2 +1

The objective is to prevent bridging loop.

So the two phases:

listening

learning

and the port moves from one state to another after 15 seconds.

Two switches could take a wrong decision in a lan segment because not aware of another change/decision taken in another lan segment.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card