Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cicso Unity Failover !!!

Hi all,

I have Cisco Unity 5.x with Failover, Secondary Server is configured as domain controller and Primary Server is configured as the member of it.

If some one send msg (while the Secondary Server is down) i dont get MWI alert,as Secondary Server come back, MWI indicator automatically come up with " You Have Voice Msg " display on ip phone !!!

and If i shutdown the primary server my voice msgs are working fine with MWI without any problem.

also when Domain Controller server is down and i press Msg key on ip phone i got msg that "your Voice Msg System is Down, your msg will be restored after outage press 1 for hear your new msg and after press1 i can hear my new msg !!!

why i am not able to see the MWI only when my Domain Controller is down ???

Regards

4 Replies 4

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nasry,

Sounds to me like your secondary server may also be running your mail store (Exchange), so this would be working as designed. If the secondary is down, there will be no message delivery or MWI.

Behavior when the mail store goes down:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/design/guide/5xcudg030.html#wp1052596

Second, if there are any connectivity issues with the domain controller/global catalog, Unity will go into UMR mode and, as designed, state that the mail store is down.

I would recommend looking over the Active Directory requirements:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472549

Also, take a look at what expected behavior would be in various outage scenarios here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/403/failover/guide/ex/FG_500.html

Hope that helps. If so, please rate.

Brad

hi bmagnani,

as per Installation guide of Cisco Unity with Failover, Only Exchange Administration software i have installed at Primary Server, and on Secondary Server rest of all components of Exchange !!!!!

so you mean if mail store is on secondary server this would be the default behavior of unity if Secondary Server will go down ????

how to resolve it !!! becauase while the outage of secondary server without MWI Alert how the user will get to know that they have received new Voice msg ???? until and unless they will check there msg in inbox or the Secondary Server comes back again ????

any suggestions or solution for it please ??

Regards

Nasry, there's no way around if Exchange goes down. The users will hear the UMR conversation and still be able to listen to NEW messages that are left, but will not have access to old messages, or receive MWI.

If Exchange was on another standalone server outside of the failover pair, the behavior would be the same if Exchange went down... UMR conversation for everyone as well. The only real solution I can think of is maybe moving to an Exchange clustered configuration? I'm not that familiar with the Microsoft piece of it and what redundancy benefits may be offered.

Hope that clarifies.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your guide .

Regards