cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877 cant ping VRRP master ip

ahmedt1978
Level 1
Level 1

Vrrp show as enabled and I can ping my vrrp ip(192.168.1.50) from the router but not from any other PC on my network!

Cant think of anything other than my 877 doesnt have advanced Ip features installed.

And this is probably the reason why multiple vlan cant be configured?

On bootup the 877 loads:

Booting flash:/c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin

Self decompressing the image : ################################################## ######################### [OK]

Here is my vrrp setup:

Cisco-01#sh vrrp brief

Interface Grp Pri Time Own Pre State Master addr Group addr

Vl1 1 254 9007 Y Master 192.168.1.40 192.168.1.50

Cisco-01#sh vrrp

Vlan1 - Group 1

vrrp_group

State is Master

Virtual IP address is 192.168.1.50

Secondary Virtual IP address is 192.168.1.60

Virtual MAC address is 0000.5e00.0101

Advertisement interval is 3.000 sec

Preemption enabled

Priority is 254

Master Router is 192.168.1.40 (local), priority is 254

Master Advertisement interval is 3.000 sec

Master Down interval is 9.007 sec

Cisco-01#

9 Replies 9

Ahmed,

Your IOS is fine for VRRP. Let's check out here. http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

It's a good idea to see what you configured on both routers.

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

I have another linux machine acting as the backup router i.e. priority is standard 100.

And yes in theory vrrpd should be supported by my current IOS.

Still everything configures OK but I am unable to ping 192.168.1.50 from any other device other than my router.

I dont think ACL could be the issue as every other ip in the 192.168.1.0/24 network is ping-able.

Ahmed,

I'm afraid that there is something to clarify.

When you are trying to ping from hosts. What happens when we do "arp -a" command on hosts. Do you see a MAC you defined?

You mentioned about ACL. However it's good to see the configuration.

Toshi

Hmmmm... I dont see the router (arp -a) (192.168.1.40) from any of the hosts even though I can ping it???

So what am I missing? Shouldnt I still get the virtual IP (192.168.1.50) on my network as 192.168.1.40 (cisco 877) is the master router?

I have attached my running-config...

Ahmed,

Your VRRP configuration looks fine to me. But not sure what is configired on the linux box. What's the purpose of ACL_1?. For testing

!

interface Vlan1

no pppoe enable

no pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

no ip access-group 1 in

no ip access-group 1 out

!

Toshi

Wrt access list 1 permit any:

This is for testing purposes at the moment to allow all traffic in and out.

PPPoE:

I want the router to do a PPPoE connection for the internet.

But coming back to VRRP:

Yes, I cant see anything wrong with my configuration.

Hence my remark about the IOS:advanced IP. I cannot create multiple VLAN's and manage them as a 877 should. Even though I have the relevant commands on my 877, which I found strange.

Ahmed,

You're using PPPOE with route mode(dialer interface). But you defined ATM as a bride mode. I didn't see any bridge group command on the interfaces. However your internet connections is working fine. Right?.

But coming back to VRRP: Is this Lan or Wan?

To make sure that I'm in the same page. You are going to do VRRP with the LAN interface and trying to use the virtual IP address for hosts in the lan segment. Right? Assuming that the internet connections are working fine. The problem you said is that hosts on lan can't ping the virtual ip address. Right?

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

I am creating a PPPoE connection and this works fine. I already have a modem on the 192.168.1.0 network hence I am not using the ATM interface.

Yes, the VRRP is for LAN with 192.168.1.40 (Cisco 877) masquerading as 192.168.1.50 (master).

I have tried adding VLAN to the DB:

Cisco-01#vlan database

Cisco-01(vlan)#vlan 2

Vlan can not be added. Maximum number of 1 vlan(s) in the database.

Cisco-01(vlan)#

The only thing missing is that I cannot get the VRRP IP up and running on VLAN1.

Istvan kelemen
Level 1
Level 1

VRRP Master IP is not pingable by default. Some platforms allow you to configure ICMP reply for VIP.

As soon as ARP cache shows VIP to VMAC mapping you are good to go.

The hosts go through the VIP,  not to the VIP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card