cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Database Down

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have installed the WCS 4.1 version and the database is down I don't know how UP the database ... any suggestions??

Thanks

#./WCSStatus

Database server is stopped

Apache server is running

WCS is running

13 Replies 13

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you followed the recommended minimum requirement for WCS, then the only thing I would tell you to do is reload WCS back onto the server.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I restart the Linux server , and the database is Down.

from a root prompt do the following:

df -h

/etc/init.d/WCS4.xxx (your version here) status

/etc/init.d/WCS4.xxx (your version here) start

If this starts the db fine then do the following:

chkconfig --list|grep WCS

the output should be:

WCS4.x.xx.0 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

cd /opt/WCS4.xxx/webnms/logs

tail some of the logs for clues

When you installed WCS did you select to run it as a service?

I was thinking that, or maybe he didn't do the restore of the DB properly when the new version got installed. Once you've installed the new version, you need to tell Linux to restore the DB; it should convert the schema, etc to support the new version of WCS you installed. Otherwise, you get WCS with a blank DB. I would retrace the steps performed based on the following document to help with troubleshooting ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/4.1/configuration/guide/wcsmain.html#wp1077371

Hope this helps,

Craig

Hello everyone

We WCS (W2003server) also happens this problem, we stopped momentarily to fix the service manually and resume. There any other solution?

Thank you very much

WCS should not stop with no reason. It may happen sometimes but if it's too frequent, then we need to look at the WCS logs.

If you want, post the WCS logs zip file, you can get it from Administration -> Logging.

Hi,

I got simmilar problem with WCS database.

After few minutes/hours, sometimes days, database goes down. Please see logs, it happened about 21:22.

In the logs, the only relevant error is that you tried to create guest users with not using a lobby ambassador account. Then the database did not respond.

I will need the full logs.zip output and not only the wcs-1-0.log to see this further.

Make sure you create guest accounts with a lobby admin account and not an admin account.

OK, today I installed WCS 5.2.148.0 again and restored configuration from backup. After a few hours WCS database hanged up at about 16:05. Can you see something in logs what can put database down ? I don't think creating guest accounts make those problems, I do it for years.

Do you have selinux enabled?

Also, do you happen to have a backup job running? Given the fact that WCS is running, some backup programs may have issues trying to backup open files.

Also, what monitoring are you using? and can it alert you if a proc dies. You can always add a proc value to snmpd.conf

I forgot to add... OS is Win 2003 Server SP1 all running on VMWare, till August all was OK. There is no backup at this time, it happens randomly. I use BMC PNEt to monitor web login transaction, I get alarm when PNET cannot login to WCS, then I log in via remote desktop, run WCSStatus and see that database server is down :/

Hi, I've found additional logs from X:\WCS\webnms\db\eval_kit\standalone

There is some serious problem with database itself. I have some backups but even if I restore db, it hangs up again.

Hmmm...

your db is located at X:\WCS\webnms\db\eval_kit\standalone

is X: a networked drive? perhaps there are some communications issues that are causing problems and/or corruption with the db. TAC should have some solid db commands/checks that you could run

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card