choosing the correct module for 7206vxr

Unanswered Question
May 4th, 2009

I am going for a 7206Vxr chassis router and need three gigaethernet ports.I am trying to find memory and software requirements to use with the router.

any suggestion will be much appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
coletemple Mon, 05/04/2009 - 09:43

I've just found out about the uBR7200-NPE-G1 (which has three giga ports)which could do the trick for me.

I am trying to know if my 7206vxr chassis is compatible with it...

Giuseppe Larosa Mon, 05/04/2009 - 10:53

Hello Paul,

the good news is that NPE-G1 is compatible with 7206VXR.

the bad news is that the performance are not so good to be able to manage three GE ports full rate.

Exists also NPE-G2 that is accounted of double performances but still it is not able to support full rate three GE ports (bidirectional traffic with 64 bytes frames is not supported each direction requires 1488000 pps).

for the performance data

both NPE-G1 and NPE-G2 have an I/O controller so you need to save your config via tftp to some other location the change of NPE causes the old config file in the I/O controller to be not reachable after upgrade.

Hope to help

Joseph W. Doherty Mon, 05/04/2009 - 16:10

As Giuseppe notes, neither the NPE-G1 or -G2 might have the performance to fully drive 3 gig interfaces. However, the discontinued NSE-1 would come the closest.

If you haven't obtained the 7206VXR yet, depending on your feature needs, you might want to consider a small L3 switch.

This Discussion