cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

err-disabled switch port

rsamuel708
Level 1
Level 1

I have several ports on my network that I continue to see go into an err-disabled state when devices are connected to the network jack. I can fix these by doing a shut/no shut on the port, but I'm not sure what's causing this to happen?

No speed/duplex mismatches which has been the normal cause, so what else can cause this to happen? bad ethernet cables?

Thanks in advance.

/rls

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Robert,

if you have logging enabled examine the log there should be a message for this.

possible causes include:

port security

STP BPDUguard

and probably also port flapping (this can be caused by cabling)

5 up/down in 1 sec can trigger port flapping.

if the port just disabled is x/y

use

sh log | inc x/y

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I do see the port flapping error, but I'm not sure how that could be caused by cabling. Could you explain a little more?

Thanks.

/rls

Hello Robert,

flapping is defined as frequent up/downs on the port for this I thought of a relationship with cabling issues (an intermittent link/wire in the RJ-45)

there is also an open issue about flapping on C2950 it is a bug.

We found it for frequent deregistration of VOIP phones caused by these up/downs

We tried last available IOS for C2950 but it didn't solve.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe, so you think the cables could have some physical problems that cause the port to flap, and then go into err-disable mode? All of the switches are newer 3750s.

/rls

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

UDLS Port Aggressive can also cause a port to go into err-disable.

Eric Kenny
Level 1
Level 1

You can set the switch to automatically recover from an error disabled state, that way you don't have to waste your time logging in to the switch and shut/noshutting the port.

See here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml#topicsub1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco