Never mind =)

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Essentially the default metric used for redistribution of routes between dynamic routing protocols are arbitrary values, chosen to fit the protocol which is receiving the routes. My general approach to default metrics is to choose a metric that would represent a fairly good path (I think it should not look outstandingly good and it should not be outstandingly bad). For a very simple example if I were redistributing into RIP I probably would not want a default metric of 1, and certainly a default metric of 14 is problematic (since beyond 15 hops destinations become unreachable). Similarly in OSPF I might choose a cost that looked like an Ethernet (I would not necessarily want it to look like a Gig and I would not want it to look like 56K).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Essentially the default metric used for redistribution of routes between dynamic routing protocols are arbitrary values, chosen to fit the protocol which is receiving the routes. My general approach to default metrics is to choose a metric that would represent a fairly good path (I think it should not look outstandingly good and it should not be outstandingly bad). For a very simple example if I were redistributing into RIP I probably would not want a default metric of 1, and certainly a default metric of 14 is problematic (since beyond 15 hops destinations become unreachable). Similarly in OSPF I might choose a cost that looked like an Ethernet (I would not necessarily want it to look like a Gig and I would not want it to look like 56K).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

John,

If you don't mind,can I see your question again? (grin)

Toshi

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card