Views
Helpful
Replies

UC520 48 User - 12 FXO

calvin.piggott
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings Everyone,

I'm new to this community and I've come seeking answers to a couple questions.

My customer (sporting goods chain) wants to migrate from legacy PBX to IP Telephony. Following are the key points...

• There are 16 locations including the central office...15 stores and 1 central office.
  • Central office will have 30 phones.
  • Each store will have 1 phone.
  • 3 Soft phones
  • All 15 stores are currently linked to the central office via 1mbps metro links. The network is simple and flat.

I am proposing the following..

• Central office
    • 1 x UC520-48U-12FXO-K9 and 1 x WS-CE520-24PC-K9
    • 1 x CP-7962G=
    • 1 x CP7915=
    • 5 x CP-7965G=
    • 24 x CP-7942G=
    • 3 x IP Communicator v7 (need help with this licensing)
  • Stores
    • 15 x WS-CE520-8PC-K9 or WS-C2960PD-8TT-L (need your recommendation)
    • 15 x CP-7942G=

That just about covers it at the high level. Can you guys validate the above and let me know if I missed anything?

Many thanks,

Calvin.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

For CIPC on the UC520, the licenses are included in the UC520, so your SBMM would probably ask you to order:

SW-IPCOMM-E1=Cisco IP Communicator Software   for SBCS UC520
CON-ESW-IPCOMMCisco SMARTnet Software Support   and Upgrades for Cisco IP Communicator

View solution in original post

No problem. 

The SCCP licenses inside the UC520 can be used however you want to use them. 

Any real IP Phone, additional FXS with features and voice mail boxes, Soft phones (CIPC), phones at remote locations....pretty much any way you choose.

The 48 user SKU has these 4 extra (total 52) licenses which you can use any way you want.   No limit to any type as long as you dont overrun the total.

Hope thats clearer.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Maulik Shah
Level 5
Level 5

Think you have it covered.

- What is the licensing question on the IP communicator?

Recommend you use CE520 switches as they are easy to configure using the CCA tool - the 2960 would require CLI knowledge.

Hi Maulik,

Apart from requiring CLI knowledge are there any other reasons to use CE520 instead of 2960 if setting up UC520-24U system?

Thanks,

Salik

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Cisco IP Communicator consumes 1 license as it is an SCCP featured device.  Nothing more to do there.

Remember you get 4 additional floating licenses for the 24, 32, and 48U SKUs:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1438

Calvin,

How are the 15 metro links aggregated at the central office? If they come into a switch and then they are uplinked to the UC500, CDP won't traverse this domain, meaning your CCA won't display the remote phones in it topology. Can you clarify?

Thanks,

Marcos

Marcos,

The links are aggregated into one 2mbps link at the central office. The provider uses Cisco equipment for their infrastructure.

After I wrote the post, a few things came to mind...

1. Can the provider provide Q-in-Q so that I can pass my trunks across the WAN?
  2. Can I use a CE520 switch at each store?
  3. If the provider does Q-in-Q, will CDP be able to pass?

Thanks,

Calvin.

Very likely, your provider is aggregating all remote sites (VLANS) into a single dot1q trunk at the main site, which means they have some sort of Metro Ethernet insfrastructure and I am not sure CDP will be propagated. In other words, the remote CE520's will likely be up-linked to an access port on the carrier side.

It is actually hard to be sure, so I recommend you discuss this with the provider. Bottomline is that the UC500 won't see CDP neighbors that are more than one Layer 2 hop away.

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Marcos, you're correct on all points. I contacted the provider and at present they are not offering Q-in-Q and also not able to pass CDP traffic. They recommended not using 1 VLAN at the remote sites and use QoS tagging. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that approach.

I have another option...what if I convert to a L3 WAN with the SR520 Secure Router at each location. I know this won't address the CDP issue, but at least I can maintain the voice and data VLAN ateach site.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Calvin.

I don't think the SR520 buys you much. Even if you change to L3 WAN, you would still need the links to be point to point, which means you need subinterfaces at the main site (VLANs on the UC500 WAN interface), which means the provider will still carry that information over L2, which means you could have used a switch at the remote site in the first place.

I did not understand the provider's comment about QoS and how that relates to the transport. When you said that I was right, did you mean that the provider is in fact aggregating the sites on a 802.1q trunk at the main office, and then each remote site just sits on a different VLAN (the provider delivers an access port to the remote sites)?

Thanks,

Marcos

As far as I'm aware, the provider creates one L2/VLAN network for the end user across all sites. At each location, the provider installs a switch which is then uplinked (single port) to the network.

I had originally planned to use CE520 switches at the retail outlets which will have one phone each. However, in the event of WAN failure, those phones will be dead. So I did some digging and found the solution that may work for me in the attached. My concern about the multi-site approach is whether it's feasible for 15 sites.

With an SR520 at the remote site, the phones would also be "dead" in case of WAN failure, since SR520 does not offer any call control/SRST. You can implement more than the documented 5 sites only if the SR520's are not doing VPN tunnels.

In the document you reference, there is a UC500 at each site.

Also notice that survivability is a must only if you have PSTN trunks at each remote site to make outbound calls, which I assume is your case.

A better solution might be an ISR/CME at the central site and IAD 2400's at the remote sites (which do support SRST).

Thanks,

Marcos

- SRST is required.

- The Main site has 8 analog trunks and each store has 2 analog trunks.

- SR520 is not required..can utilize static routing on the UC520.

- Multi-Site document has the IAD's at the WAN edge in combination with other UC520's.

I'll read up on the IAD to better understand it. Trying to keep the solution as cost effective as possible, but the ISR/CME combination is an option.

Thanks,

Calvin.

Calvin,

Please send me an email with your contact info at marchern@cisco.com

I would like to put you in touch with our Sales consultants, so they help you with this.

Thanks a lot,

Marcos

Steve, so what you're saying is that if I have a 48 user device, I actually have 52 licenses for use?

The table below is from the CIPC datasheet. You're saying that all I need is the 1st item, and if I need more than 4, I need to purchase the 3rd item?

Description

Part Number

Cisco IP Communicator Software

IPCOMM-7-SW

Station User License for Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.0

SW-CCM-UL-IPCOMM-E

Station User License for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express

SW-CCME-UL-IPCOMM-E=

Thanks,

Calvin.

For CIPC on the UC520, the licenses are included in the UC520, so your SBMM would probably ask you to order:

SW-IPCOMM-E1=Cisco IP Communicator Software   for SBCS UC520
CON-ESW-IPCOMMCisco SMARTnet Software Support   and Upgrades for Cisco IP Communicator
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: