Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 3DES/AES Free License Key?

A couple of years ago I requested the free 3DES/AES license for a PIX 501. The existing license key on the PIX was for 50-users, when I applied the new license it upgraded it to 3DES/AES but was restricted to 10-users. Since I didn't actually need the 3DES/AES license and only got the key as it was free I re-applied the previous license (this wasn't a production device anyway).

I will be upgrading a failover pair of PIX 515's shortly for a customer from 6.x to 7.2. I have checked the current license and it is unrestricted with failover but only DES. I would like to apply the 3DES/AES license for them but fear the free license key will 'downgrade' it to a restricted license with no failover.

Has anyone done a similar upgrade and used the tool to generate a free 3DES/AES license for an unrestricted PIX?

Thanks

Andy

3 Replies 3

n.lenevez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy,

I have done a few PIX515E-URs and the free 3DES/AES license left them at UR. I think I remember that when going from 6.x to 7.x/8.x it does revert to a DES only license, but the Unrestricted is still there.

I went ahead and did the upgrade on Wednesday and crossed my fingers when I applied the new License keys. Thankfully everything went OK. I am still intrigued why the 501 I did a while ago reverted back to 10-Users though. I'll dig it out and see if I made a record of the original license.....

Andy

I have just received a used PIX 515 for the lab. It only had 64MB RAM & PIX OS 6.2 installed so I have upgraded the RAM to 128MB and installed PIX OS 7.2(4). The original license is unrestricted but didn't have 3DES/AES:

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : 6

Maximum VLANs : 25

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Active/Active

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Disabled

Cut-through Proxy : Enabled

Guards : Enabled

URL Filtering : Enabled

Security Contexts : 2

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has an Unrestricted (UR) license.

I went on CCO and applied for the free 3DES/AES license which promptly arrived, however it now says it only has a FO license?

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : 6

Maximum VLANs : 25

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Active/Standby

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled

Cut-through Proxy : Enabled

Guards : Enabled

URL Filtering : Enabled

Security Contexts : 2

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has a Failover Only-Active/Standby (FO) license.

I have therefore restored the original UR license key but need 3DES/AES. Is there some special way I need to get the license to preserve the UR?

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card