cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor What Is Associated To A WLC

pugs17211721
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to watch what Lightweight Access Points are connected to a controller? We have a large environment, and current have 81 lightweight access points spread over 4 different controllers. I can ping the access points with their static ip address, but that doesnt tell me which controller they are associated to. I would like to find a way, snmp would be great, to see if it can tell me which access points are associated to what controller. Thanks for the help.

5 Replies 5

Victor Fabian
Level 1
Level 1

The best way is through WCS ( Wireless Control System ) or you could just SSH or Telnet to the switch where the controller is in and do :

session slot <1-9> processor <1-9>

This would allow to connect to any of the controllers .

once you have connected to the controller you can just type this command:

show ap summary

unfortunately we do not have a WCS and with the economic situation that we have, purchasing one is not an option at this time. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If you dont have a WCS you can do this :

SSH or Telnet to the switch where the controller is in and do :

session slot <1-9> processor <1-9>

This would allow to connect to any of the controllers .

once you have connected to the controller you can just type this command:

show ap summary

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HTML into a WLC. Under Summary, look under Access Point Summary > All APs > Detail. This will show you what AP's are associated on that particular WLC.

Ditto on all the above.

Keep in mind you can also select what controllers your APs join to. This is important. You can improve roaming this way by having your APs join a controller that may have all the first floor APs. For example...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin