Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS set port name

graham-lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please could someone tell me what the maximum string length is for the CatOS command "set port name"? I've done some searching but can't find the answer.

version 5.5(19)

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Graham,

it should be 21 chars if you try to set a longer port description string you will get an error message and the port name is truncated at 21 chars

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you don't get an answer just experiment with it , its just a name and it does not affect anything else . I want to say like 20 characters but don't know for sure.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Graham,

it should be 21 chars if you try to set a longer port description string you will get an error message and the port name is truncated at 21 chars

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

This information was useful I tried out & verified the same. The switch indeed throws an error 'Name string must be less than 21 characters'

Switch> (enable) set port name 3/44 qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcv

Name string must be less than 21 characters.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was fairly short but I don't have a CatOS switch in test and any changes made in live have to go through change control. I'm scripting some changes so this information is very useful, thanks again.

Graham

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco