cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

removing vlans 1,1002-1005 - any issues?

visacemea
Level 1
Level 1

Any caveats on removing vlans 1,1002-1005 from interfaces when setting up ether channels? (cat3524xl)

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

You mean the vlans allowed on a trunk ?

If so, nope go right ahead and do altho be aware that vlan 1 is always allowed across the trunk as Cisco use this vlan for control protocols such as CDP/VTP etc..

Jon

is that true even if a remove it from a trunk ? also can i shut down vlan 1 on my devices ?

Is that true even if you change the native VLAN? I have never given much thought to getting rid of VLAN 1.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to get rid of VLAN 1?

Jeremy

"Is that true even if you change the native VLAN 1 ?" - Yes it is. Some control protocols use the native vlan which is by default vlan 1 so if you change the native vlan you change the vlan used for caryying that control protocol but some still use vlan 1. There was a thread a while back about this - i'll see if i can find a link to it :-)

"Just out of curiosity, why would you want to get rid of VLAN 1?"

Main reason is vlan 1 is the default vlan for all ports and the idea is to simply not use vlan 1 for anything if you can ie.

1) No ports for end user devices/servers etc in vlan 1

2) Don't use vlan 1 for managing the switches

3) Change the native vlan from vlan 1 to something else.

There is a good paper on vlan security that has a specific part about the use of vlan 1 -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a008013159f.shtml

Jon

Carl

"is that true even if a remove it from a trunk ?"

Yes

"also can i shut down vlan 1 on my devices ?"

Yes

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'm afraid removing VLAN1 from a trunk is not supported on obsolete switches like Cat3524XLs.

The CLI will permit to disable it on a trunk, but "sh int ... sw" will still show it permitted then.

The same is valid for VLANs 1002-1005, I'm afraid.

BR,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card