cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interesting situation

chriswamp
Level 1
Level 1

I've got an interesting situation that I'd like assistance with. My company has recently been given ownership of assets of a company that went bankrupt for defrauding investors in the financial meltdown, and so I'm now the proud owner of all their networking equipment (the FBI seized all their servers and computers). The entire rack is all Cisco, 5 3560 switches, 1 3650 switch, and some older routers (2600, 2800)and a Pix. I'm not interested in the routers, as my network is fairly small and my routers are managed by my ISP, but I am interested in the switches.

What's involved in reconfiguring them and getting them registered into our company's name? Is it just a matter of purchasing SmartNet support for them? I don't have any passwords for them.

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi, Chris:

First off, tell me when the execution is going to be so that I can buy some popcorn.

Secondly, all you have to do is delete the startup configuration and the vlan database. This doesn't require any special tools.

On each switch, execute a:

dir all-files

Look for the startup config, which is going to be in the nvram:, Im sure.

Then, execute a:

del nvram:startup-config

Do the same for the vlan.dat file.

Then reload and voila! The switch will have a blank config and it is yours to do as you please. :-)

[EDIT]

Im sorry, I just realized that you do not have any passwords for them. Still no big deal...just do a password recovery procedure. It takes about 5 minutes to break in.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml#topic1

[EDIT]

HTH

On the 3560 switches, express config is enabled. (it's on 3560 and 3750 probably also on 3550)

When booted up, press the mode button for 10 seconds. It will rename the startup config and reload automatically. 'the easy password recovery method'.

When booted up

delete flash:config.text.renamed

delete flash:vlan.dat

Can't be used with the routers!

bretjaquish
Level 3
Level 3

Are you willing to sell the routers? I need a 2800 series for my CCIE lab.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card