cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Multicast client for 3750

markschnabel
Level 4
Level 4

Can anyone point me where I can find if the 3750 supports the ntp multicast client command?

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The IOS command reference reports that the command was introduced in 12.1 and is supported in the 12.2 mainline and the 12.2SX train

Software Advisor (http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do) doesn't appear to break out that command specifically in the "Features supported in 12.2(50)SE" page, either for IP Base or Advanced IP Services images.

The release notes (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_40_se/release/notes/OL13860.html#wp539899) have several multicast caveats, but ntp multicast client isn't among them.

I have found the same information, or lack of information. We are running 12.2(46) and the command is there, but do not know if it is supported. I will probably need to open a TAC case to verify.

thanks

Did TAC reply? I'm facing the same issue currently, running 12.2(SE)52 Universal image. Command seems to be there but no NTP packets are transmitted or processed.

rmarosko
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this still appears to be an issue.

I am discovering this to be the same issue on a 3560X running 15.0(2)SE2. I have confirmed with monitor session that the switch is issuing IGMP report packets for the 224.0.1.1 group in response to IGMP queries from the upstream switch, and I have confirmed that the NTP multicast (224.0.1.1/udp/123) packets are being delivered once from each source every 64 seconds, but the switch steadfastly remains in a "Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16" state. If I configure the ntp servers, then the bidirectional unicast packets will cause the system to sync up, but that's fairly self-defeating the purpose of being a multicast client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: