cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO finding if line is plugged in

ty.masse
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way on a VIC FXO to find out if there is an actual line plugged in to it?

I know on a Linksys Gateway SPA400 the minute you plug the line in, the voltage indicator will change; which indicates that it's actually plugged into something. Is there a similar info on a Cisco FXO or something similar?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really. You can attempt a call with csim start and on a disconnected port you you see lack of current loop when off-hook, with "debug vpm signal"

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really. You can attempt a call with csim start and on a disconnected port you you see lack of current loop when off-hook, with "debug vpm signal"

On the ISR router with a FXO port you can also use a command to verify voltage for the voice port. There is a Cisco document that details the command used below, it will report if there is any voltage on the fxo port in question. I used this command to remotely troubleshoot an outage report for an overhead paging system. The paging system is providing the voltage/battery. If this was a CO type line, then, again the PSTN is providing the battery, so if it is connected to the fxo, you must have voltage.

Example:

> term mon

> test voice port port# si-reg-read 29 1

>

> A value of 0x00 indicates there is no voltage being seen on the line/voice port.

> You need the terminal monitor command to see the output of this command on the screen.

homegw-220#ter mon

homegw-220#test voice port 3/0/2 si-reg-read ?

<0-200> Starting register in decimal: 0 - 200

homegw-220#test voice port 3/0/2 si-reg-read 29 ?

<1-6> Number of registers to be Read: 1 - 6

homegw-220#test voice port 3/0/2 si-reg-read 29 1

homegw-220#

Jun 18 2009 16:44:53.629 EDT:

Values read from SiLabs Codec connected to DSP 0, channel 2:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Register 29 = 0x00

Jun 18 2009 16:44:53.629 EDT: >

A value of 0x00 indicates there is no voltage being seen on the line/voice port.

To the person that rated my post an "1":

you're misusing the rating system, because the information that I gave is correct to the best of my knowledge, and given in good will.

robert_dantes
Level 1
Level 1

I know this thread is kinda old but incase anyone passes by this thread looking for an answer to the same question as the original poster.

test voice port x/x/x   si-reg-read 29 1

This command can help in detecting if the line connected to the port has a current; Need to look for anything not 0x00. since 0x00 means no electric current

Although relatively simple I use a "show voice port summary" and then call into the FXO line. You will see the port chaning status to ring-detected, if the status show no change, then there's nothing connected.

thanx a lot... I hadn't an analog phone to test a line, your answer is a piece of gold.

Who told that a 4 years answer would help me?

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: