Views
Helpful
Replies

static ip from isp on an asa 5505

john.bailey1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a asa 5505 when I set it up for dhcp from my ISP things are great. Now that I have a static IP it dose not work. I have tried creating a static route and I see that it is getting traffic to the DNS server I use but no data is transferred. The doc's are very confusing, I am by no means a network expert. I can not get past that when I enter the static ip information into for the interface (outside vlan2) there is nowhere to add the gateway. I strongly suspect a static route is needed. I have tried to create one still no luck. The documents that came with the router are for there asdm suite I chose inside for the interface then 0.0.0.0 for the ip and netmask and my gateway value from my ISP gave me for the gateway.

Any help is appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Not entirely clear what your problem is but your static route should look like

route (outside) 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

where should be an IP address out of the same subnet as the outside interface of your ASA.

Jon

thank you for you replay

I entered this route I can ping any site on the outsdie but can not ping from the inside.

I am wondering if the router just dose not work I can find no reason why I have tryed every route configuration I can think if.

my isp ip is 71.43.97.220 my gateway is 71.43.97.217 mask 255.255.255.248

I enter (outside) 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 71.43.97.217

and I can not ping from inside to outside or even see anything on the outside network.

this should work right?

John

Just to clarify, you keep referring to the device as a router - do you mean an ASA firewall ?

If you are trying to ping through the ASA from inside to outside then you will need to allow it with either acl's or ICMP inspection, see this link for details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a0080094e8a.shtml

Jon

I can get no trafic from on network to another. The packet trace tool says itis allow when I use it and I use the ping tool form the ASDM.

That being said I will follow the steps in the link. Thank you again for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card