Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Discovery job status is always running - it been a week

nizamismail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have problem of Device Discovery job status is always running. It has been a week now and it does not dicover switches/routers. Any input or solution?

I'm currently using LMS 3.0 with CiscoWorks Common Services 3.1.1.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have a bigger problem. The Discovery process is not registered with Daemon Manager. This points to a potential problem with the LMS 3.0.1 installation. I recommend you open a TAC service request so more analysis can be done.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This could be related to known bug CSCsv42110 which will be fixed in LMS 3.2, or it may be a configuration issue. Please post NMSROOT/conf/csdiscovery/CSDiscovery-config.xml.

Hi Joe,

Attached is the CSDiscovery-config.xml file.

Is it confirm because of the bug?

The biggest problem I see is your SNMP timeout value. Any node in your ping sweep ranges which is not SNMP reachable will cause Discovery to pause for 70 seconds. if you have a lot of such devices, this can cause Discovery to take a very long time. One should never need more than 1 retry with a 5 second timeout. Try reconfiguring your SNMP parameters, then do:

pdterm CSDiscovery

Then restart Discovery, and see if it completes.

Ok. The LMS is running on Windows Server. Where should I issue the command 'pdterm CSDiscovery' ?

From the DOS shell.

There is error message when I issued the command.

C:\Documents and Settings\ioffice2.O2-DC-CW-1>pdterm CSDiscovery

ERROR: cmd failed. Server reason: One of the entries in a list of application n

ames to pdshow, pdexec or pdterm is invalid.

Attached is the screnshot from the Device Discovery settings. Is it ok?

The fact that this command failed is not good. Post the output of the pdshow command.

hi,

attached is the pdshow output command

You have a bigger problem. The Discovery process is not registered with Daemon Manager. This points to a potential problem with the LMS 3.0.1 installation. I recommend you open a TAC service request so more analysis can be done.

ok thank you very much joe.

elorance
Level 1
Level 1

I constantly fight the CS Discovery hanging up .. 1 out of 4 times it will complete.. there are several issues with the Discovery. What I have found is that you must control the Seed List and remove any device that no longer exist. You must clean up as many of the unreachable devices as possible and use the exclude filter to keep devices out of Discovery that you don't care about. Don't forget that if you make changes (add to exclude or other changes) that your scheduled event needs to be modified as well .. I usually delete and recreate it. 3.0 has way to many bugs .. go to 3.1 with all the latest patches and you'll still see the issue just not as bad

The good news is that the hanging Discovery problem will be finally fixed in LMS 3.2 now that CSCsv42110 has been resolved. However, in this user's case, the problem was that CSDiscovery was not registered with Daemon Manager. The UI was picking up a stale discovery object file, but Discovery was not really running.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco