Views
Helpful
Replies

Show proc cpu occassionally high

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

The CPU utilization for a 6500 with Sup 720 and IOS version 12.2(33)SXH3(is occassionally high. But when i try to get in and issue the command sh proc cpu sorted 1min, the CPU utilization is low at that time.

Please find enclosed the output of show proc cpu history

I am not able to capture the suspect process that caused the high cpu. This has been happening repeatedly for 1 month. However, the average CPU remains low. I am not sure if its ok.

Once when i got in the 6500 switch, it told me that HSRP Input was around 4%. When i put in the output of show proc cpu in Output interpeter, it said that everything is ok as no process is beyond 10%.

Kindly suggest if this is normal behaviour or it is something that requires further investigation.

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

4 Replies 4

route2null
Level 1
Level 1

From the information provided it looks OK to me. But there are lots of possible caveats. What led you to check the switch cpu? Are you troubleshooting a problme?

James

Dear James,

We are getting alerts through NNM that the CPU utilization is high sometimes.

But at the time of checking, we see that the CPU utilization is within 10-20%.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

What values does the NMS alarm on? Short term CPU isn't totally unusual if there's some recurring control plane processing. Perhaps your NMS just needs to relax its alarm criteria a little.

Like Joe said its probably a hair trigger on the NNM. I'm not a fan of HPOV (I assume you are refering to HPOV NNM) so i don't use it. However, I'm sure it has a feature to allow you to monnitor the cpu over time. If not there is plenty of free / trial stuff out there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco