cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Several access points radios reset every night at 11:00

jbarger
Level 1
Level 1

I have about 8 radios out of 100 that the radio interface resets every night at the same time... It doesn't affect anything since it is late at night but I can't understand why... WLSE and autononmous ap.

000082: May 5 23:00:01.748: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

000083: May 5 23:00:01.752: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

000084: May 5 23:00:01.774: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

Any ideas?

TIA

Joe

12 Replies 12

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is just the APs, is the switch bouncing to?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The power on the port is not going off, the switch doesn't have any interface up/down at all for the port that the access point is connected to.

It is just the APs. I really just wonder why.

Try disabling SNMP, maybe there's something out there that's telling it to do this.

Very strange problem indeed. I can't think of much else that might cause this. It happens every single night at the same time?

Yeah totally bizsare when I started seeing it a couple months ago I figured it is not worth trying to figure out since it doesn't matter...

I can kill SNMP though :)

Might as well try a code upgrade if that doesn't work. What version are you running? It could always be a bug of some kind.

I just re-read your first post and I notice you're running WLSE. Double-check your WLSE jobs and make sure there's nothing in there that runs at that time. Any change to the radio interface causes it to reset like that, so maybe WLSE is changing the channel or something?

Yeah it is possible but I almost only use it to deploy software. No radio tuning or anything like that but I will double check.

I couldn't find a single job that was active and I deleted the one inactive job I used to turn off the radios before they came like that.

12.4(10b)JDA is the version. It was happening before I upgraded to this version as well.

I'm not the least bit familiar with the WLSE, but I think Jeff has the right idea.

That whole radio down/reset/up I normally see during a channel change. So my first guess is that there is a Dynamic Channel Assignment that must be running at that time and these 8 APs it must think needs to change channels.

If your AP isn't rebooting and it is just the radio flapping, then there must be some kind of "configuration" that is kicking off at that time....

Do these APs all happen to be in the same general location? If several APs in one area are doing this, then that makes me really think it is DCA

Did shutting off SNMP do anything last night?

I compared the snmp on one device that is working vs one that wasn't and they were identical so I didn't shut snmp off but I will on monday.

Yeah I would have thought that but they are all over the place... I will look through the configs for channel and force channels if not but I thought they only searched for channel on bootup if they were set to auto.

I am going to make some changes on monday and see what happens.

I guess we cant sniff the wire from the AP at 11 becuase of the WLSM gre tunnel?

How about swapping out or switching an AP that always reboots with another AP...?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: