cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transport preferred command behavior.

bretjaquish
Level 3
Level 3

I am in the process of converting our devices over to SSH. I am trying to make this as seemless as possible.

Here is the issue:

I want to be able to type an IP at the CLI and use SSH, instead of the default method of telnet.

I want to not have to use the SSH command to initiate sessions to other devices.

Here is my SSH config:

crypto key gen rsa gen label SSH_Keys mod 1024

ip ssh version 2

ip ssh authentication-retries 3

ip ssh time-out 90

ip ssh logging events

username bret secret test

enable secret cisco

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default local

aaa authentication enable default enable

line con 0

transport preferred ssh

line vty 0 4

transport input ssh

transport preferred ssh

This is on a 2821 router with c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T.bin loaded.

Is this even possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it's not possible. You need to use the ssh -l [username] [ip address] syntax.

When typing just the IP address, you aren't invoking the telnet command or whatever is set as default transport, you are invoking the connect command which supports only few protocols

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/termserv/command/reference/tsv_a1.html#wp1026460

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it's not possible. You need to use the ssh -l [username] [ip address] syntax.

When typing just the IP address, you aren't invoking the telnet command or whatever is set as default transport, you are invoking the connect command which supports only few protocols

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/termserv/command/reference/tsv_a1.html#wp1026460

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison,

Thanks for clearing that up. The "connect" command. I'll have to look that up with that link.

Bret

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card