cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace PUB with 7 digit extn from 4 digit

balukr
Level 2
Level 2

We have a customer want to convert their 4 digit extension to 7 digit extensions. Since I cannot do that online while the servers are in production we are planning to rebuild the PUBLISHER (First Node) on a new server OFFLINE for couple of weeks change all the numbers and replace the existing publisher.

I was checking the Cisco doc's looks like I have to reinstall all the subscribers too when I replace the PUB. Is that true? Is there any other way we can do this so I don't have to reinstall all the SUB's again.

CM version is 6.1.3

Single Cluster - One PUB and 5 Subscribers spread across different locations.

Thanks for your help.

Bala

9 Replies 9

chadlincoln
Level 3
Level 3

You will have to wipe each sub and add them again as a node. There is no way around that. Also, be aware that while the publisher is down, you cannot make changes to the database/subscribers.

Please rate if this helped.

This is not a good forget my scenario if a PUB server crashed and has to be replaced with new hardware , you have to rebuild all the subscribers too.

Ahh, now I get what you're saying. Follow this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_0_1/cluster/clstr701.html

Please rate if this helps.

Why are you rebuilding the servers to convert the dial plan?

Come up with a procedure to do this and do this either in phases or over weekend, please check out my reply to a post yesterday:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.2cd2e261/3#selected_message

HTH,

Chris

Chris,

Thanks..What tool is that ? is it built in house ? obviously you cannot share it then?

I'm looking all the possibilities to do this ..our first option was to go with Export all phone detail ..modify the numbers ..delete the phones and Import all the phone details back..Changing 2000 extensions in one short I was little concerned and was looking for alternatives that is why we chose this option. If it is going to be pain to reintroduce a PUB server on the network we may have to look other options.

Thanks for your help.

Correct, internal tool, intellectual property :-) Need to engage us.

Exporting and overwriting phones will work, but you have to worry about other items such as forwarded DNs, extensions assigned to other devices that may potentially create overlaps, etc.

As to rebuilding the PUB, with newer appliacne based CMs you do not need to rebuidl the SUBs as that was resovled, I do not recall if that was CM 6.1.2 or 6.1.3, but one of them did.

HTH,

Chris

When you say forwarded DN's is it CFB or CFNA or CFA.?

"extensions assigned to other devices" - Are you talking about shared lines.?

Looks like in 7.x you don't have to rebuild the subscribers but I need to check with Cisco what 6.x version it is supported?

Thanks for your quick response again.

All forwarded numbers, for example if userA forwarded his phone to extensionB that now is changing how will you incorporate this?

Since you are converting the dial plan I assume you made sure that the new DNs on the phones will not create an overlap with other system DNs, i.e. Voicemail ports, MeetMe, Park, cti ports, etc, I would suggest changing those as well.

Chris

I understand now about call forwarding ..other numbers we already have plans to change that and it is not overlapping with any new numbers.

Thanks for your help again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: