cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on FXS/DID for Fax application

kbyrd
Level 2
Level 2

I have customer who has installed a FAX card in an IBM As400. the application is for inbound fax to the AS400. Customer says the Fax board can detect DNIS....so when a fax comes in for extension 1234, it will file it electronically in the database for 1234. If it comes in with a DNIS of 5678, it will store it in the 5678 database.

Telco brought in a single DS0 T1 set up for e&m-wink-start dtmf dnis. The router sees DNIS from the telco. The router also has a FXS/DID card that attaches to the FAX board on the AS400. I want to send DNIS down the FXS to the AS400 fax board.

First, is this the appropriate hardware to do this? I'm wondering if the FXS/DID is typically used to receive DNIS from a telco, but not generate it.

If so, do you have a configuration for the FXS/DID card so that I can send the DNIS derived from the T1? Thanks.

3 Replies 3

rchilcote
Level 1
Level 1

An FXS/DID VIC cannot send true DNIS. What it can do is send DTMF digits (received from the T1 circuit) to the fax server with dial-peer statements. Use the "forward-digits 4" command under the pots dial-peer to send 4 DTMF digits to the fax server ports.

Thank you for your response. Do I need anything on the voice-port to enable sending the DTMF to the fax machine?

No.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: