Back-to-back routers using a WIC-2T in async mode

Unanswered Question

I'm trying to set up two routers connected to each other using RS232 (smartSerial) cables (one DTE, one DCE). Have set the serial ports into 'async mode dedicated', and encapsulation ppp but I cannot get the link to come up. The status (on both sides) shows line up protocol down, and the link flaps between 'up' and 'reset'. Debug ppp shows the Req's going out but no replies. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Edison Ortiz Thu, 05/07/2009 - 07:04
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Did you enter the clock rate command under the serial interface at the DCE side?

__

Edison.

Edison Ortiz Thu, 05/07/2009 - 09:38
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

The command should appear in the show run.

Please post the output from the following commands:

show run

show version

sh controllers | i DTE|DCE

__

Edison.

Edison Ortiz Fri, 05/08/2009 - 04:19
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Now, it makes sense why the clock rate command didn't appear under the serial interface.

I'm not very familiar with the CEM card configuration and I don't have any around to play with at this moment. Your initial post indicated you had a WIC-2T and that's the reason I replied.

Sorry, but I can't be much of a help here.

__

Edison.

Edison Ortiz Mon, 05/11/2009 - 08:24
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Remove the async configuration, not sure why you needed, that command only applies to low-speed serial interfaces available on Cisco 2520 through Cisco 2523 series routers, and apply the clock rate on the DCE side.

paolo bevilacqua Sat, 05/16/2009 - 14:18
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hi, even if the WIC-2T promises asynchronous support, recommend you use a different interface or the AUX port for that, because some the asynch mode could have got insufficient testing and have issues.

Actions

This Discussion