Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inventory Collection - Pix 506E - LMS 3.1

Hey,

I successfully collected Inventory of several Pix Firewalls.

If I start a detailed device report of one Pix, I can see System Name, SysUp Time, Description, Physical addresses and so on.

The problem is, that I can't see the serial number of the Pix. The field is just empty.

I know that discovery isn't possible cause of snmp v1, but I imported the Pix Firewalls manualy and the inventory collection runs fine without a failure.

The only thing, which is missing, is the serial number.

It would be great, to collect the serial number information of my Pix Firewalls with the help of Cisco Works.

Btw. my Pix Firewalls runs IOS 6.3(5)

So, any Ideas?

Thx,

Patrick

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The problem here is most likely the code. RME uses the ENTITY-MIB to get the serial number information from the PIX. If the PIX is not reporting the serial number, then RME will not be able to show it. Post an SNMP walk of the entPhysicalTable (1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1).

Hey,

I started the snmp walk from the Device Center of Cisco Works.

That's the output:

The following is a SNMP walk of device 10.0.0.20 starting from .1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1

SNMP Walk Output

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm, it seems that Cisco Works doesn't get any information from this MIB.

So, is there a solution or a Workaround for this? IOS 7.x isn't supported for Pix-506E so i can't upgrade them.

Thx,

Patrick

Unfortunately not. Without appropriate MIB support, RME cannot gather the necessary inventory attributes from this device.

I just checked the PIX MIB support list, and ENTITY-MIB support wasn't introduced until 7.0, so that would be the minimum PIX OS release required for serial number support in RME.

Okay, thx for your response.

Bye,

Patrick

I should add that if all you want to do is be able to see the serial number within RME (i.e. without getting it in the inventory reports), you could use Netshow to do this. Assuming there is a show command which provides the serial number (e.g. "show ver"), you could run a Netshow job from RME > Tools > Netshow to execute that command, then you can view the results.

Hey,

that's a helpful hint.

I used "show version | include Serial" which works fine.

Now I will add the Serial Number manually in RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices > Edit Device Attributes for those Pix Firewalls.

Thx and bye,

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: