brad
Level 1
Level 1

I am booting a 6509-E with the following boot statements in my config:

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH3a.bin

Configuration register is set to 0x2102

"show boot var" reveals:

BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin,1;sup-bootdisk:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH3a.bin,1;

Upon reboot, the switch boots to the correct image.

Problems/concerns:

1. After reboot,

"BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:,1;"

-Why doesn't the BOOT variable keep file name listing? If I reboot, the switch still boots to the correct IOS. (The file names do reappear if I write the config to memory)

-What does the ",1" denote at the end of BOOT variables?

2. Is the command "flash" required in the "boot system flash sup-bootdisk:[filename]" commands. It seems as though it doesn't matter one way or another if "flash" is included.

9 Replies 9

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Brad,

This is my setup on my 6509E switch, my switch works correctly.

If you do not wr mem after changing the boot system flash statements, the show boot var will be different from your config lines.

HTH

Frank

switch# sh run | i boot

boot-start-marker

boot system flash sup-bootdisk:s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.122-33.SXI.bin

boot system flash bootflash:s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.122-33.SXI.bin

boot system flash disk0:s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.122-33.SXI.bin

boot-end-marker

switch#sh boot

BOOT variable = sup-bootdisk:s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,1;bootflash:s72033-a

dventerprisek9-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,1;disk0:s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable =

Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby is not up.

My switch boots correctly, however, after looking at the "show boot var", the "BOOT variable" seems to have stripped the filenames off. Not sure why

Can you confirm the exact files exist on the specified media?

Also, if I remember correctly, the 1 indicates the named file is the first file on the specified media. First file meaning it was copied to the media first after a fresh format and is according to the "FAT" table, the file is listed first.

Please somebody, if I am incorrect say so.

I would hate to have my pea brain filled with incorrect data. :)

Frank

I am not so sure about that explanation, because if you look at my "Boot var" line, both files have the ",1;" after it and they are both on the same media. I have also seen a ",12;" listed after a file name

Hey Brad,

I am not able to confirm my explanation at this point - Lab time is needed.

Here is a short explanation to the

show bootvar directly from Cisco to include the URL.

More later :)

Frank

show boot

The show boot command has been replaced by the show bootvar command. See the description of the show bootvar command in this chapter for more information.

show bootvar

To display the contents of the BOOT variable, the name of the configuration file pointed to by the CONFIG_FILE variable, the contents of the BOOTLDR variable, and the configuration register setting, use the show bootvar EXEC command.

show bootvar

Syntax Description

This command has no arguments or keywords.

Command Modes

EXEC

Command History Release

Modification 11.3 AA

This command was introduced.

Usage Guidelines

The show bootvar command replaces the show boot command.

The show bootvar command allows you to view the current settings for the following variables:

•BOOT

•CONFIG_FILE

•BOOTLDR

The BOOT variable specifies a list of bootable images on various devices. The CONFIG_FILE variable specifies the configuration file used during system initialization. The BOOTLDR variable specifies the Flash device and filename containing the rxboot image that ROM uses for booting. You set these variables with the boot system, boot config, and boot bootldr global configuration commands, respectively.

When you use this command on a device with multiple RSP cards (Dual RSPs), this command also shows you the variable settings for both the master and slave RSP card.

Examples

The following is sample output from the show bootvar command:

Router# show bootvar

BOOT variable =

CONFIG_FILE variable = nvram:

Current CONFIG_FILE variable = slot0:router-config

BOOTLDR variable not exist

Configuration register is 0x0

Router#

In the sample output, the BOOT variable contains a null string. That is, a list of bootable images is not specified.

The CONFIG_FILE variable points to the configuration file in NVRAM as the startup (initialization) configuration. The run-time value for the CONFIG_FILE variable points to the router-config file on the Flash memory card inserted in the first slot of the RSP card. That is, during the run-time configuration, you have modified the CONFIG_FILE variable using the boot config command, but you have not saved the run-time configuration to the startup configuration. To save your run-time configuration to the startup configuration, use the copy system:running-config nvram:startup-config command. If you do not save the run-time configuration to the startup configuration, then the system reverts to the saved CONFIG_FILE variable setting for initialization information upon reload. In this sample, the system reverts to NVRAM for the startup configuration file.

The BOOTLDR variable does not yet exist. That is, you have not created the BOOTLDR variable using the boot bootldr global configuration command.

The following example is output from the show bootvar command for a Cisco 7513 router configured for HSA:

Router# show bootvar

BOOT variable =

CONFIG_FILE variable =

Current CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

current slave is in slot 7

BOOT variable =

CONFIG_FILE variable =

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/frf010.html#wp1018225

I see exactly what you are referring to.  I really appears that when you switch a characteristic/location of the image does not immediately reflect the changes.  Leaving you sorta confused.  But I was informed that if you save the config you can then see the changes.

Got it

See

********* HERE *********

below on url

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/CLILookup/cltSearchAction.do

show bootvar

To display the contents of the BOOT variable, the name of the configuration file pointed to by the CONFIG_FILE variable, the contents of the BOOTLDR variable, and the configuration register setting, use the show bootvar command in user EXEC or privileged EXEC mode.

show bootvar

Syntax Description

This command has no arguments or keywords.

Command Modes

User EXEC

Privileged EXEC

Command History

Release Modification

11.3 AA This command was introduced.

12.2(14)SX Support for this command was implemented on the Supervisor Engine 720.

12.2(17d)SXB Support for this command on the Supervisor Engine 2 was integrated into Release 12.2(17d)SXB.

12.2(33)SRA This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SRA.

The BOOT variable specifies a list of bootable images on various devices. The CONFIG_FILE variable specifies the configuration file used during system initialization. The BOOTLDR variable specifies the flash device and filename containing the rxboot image that ROM uses for booting. You set these variables with the boot system, boot config, and boot bootldr global configuration commands, respectively.

When you use this command on a device with multiple Route Switch Processor (RSP) cards (Dual RSPs), this command also shows you the variable settings for both the master and slave RSP card.

Cisco 7600 Series Router

The show bootvar command displays information about the BOOT environmental variable.

The command output depends on how you configure the boot statement as follows:

• If you enter the boot system flash bootflash:sup720_image command in the boot configuration, then the show bootvar command output displays the bootflash information.

• If you enter the boot system flash sup-bootflash:sup720_image command in the boot configuration, then the show bootvar command output displays the sup-bootflash information. This action is the correct way of configuring the boot statement.

The show bootvar command is available from the switch processor command-line interface (CLI) and the route processor CLI. From the switch processor CLI, the display is always bootflash. With either the bootflash or the sup-bootflash boot statement, the switch boots correctly. You should use sup-bootflash in the boot configuration statement because the image is stored in the switch processor bootflash; the route processor sees the image as sup-bootflash.

********* HERE *********

The number displayed after the image name (for example, c6sup12-js-mz.121-13.E,12) indicates the number of times that the Cisco 7600 series router tries to reboot the file before giving up.

Examples

Supported Platforms Other than the Cisco 7600 Series Router

The following is sample output from the show bootvar command:

Router# show bootvar

BOOT variable =

CONFIG_FILE variable = nvram:

Current CONFIG_FILE variable = slot0:router-config

BOOTLDR variable not exist

see URL above for complete text.

For question #2 regarding the ",1" and ",12" see further discussion here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-network-architecture/bootvar-output/m-p/201692

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco