cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

prepare offline changes and implement on router from nvram

pbogaerts
Level 1
Level 1

I know that there are methods to prepare your changes offline put them in the nvram to implement later, but can someone explain the process, i did search but couldn't find it.

5 Replies 5

bretjaquish
Level 3
Level 3

In Cisco IOS, commands are applied instantly. You could type them up in a text editor and copy/paste them in when you want to make them active.

You could also TFTP the commands to the router at a later time.

It might be possible using TCL or EEM to schedule a script to run or through the router's local cron process.

Hi

I know the two first methods, but what i thought is that there is a method you make a txt file put it in nvram and then copy it in flash.

Thanks

1.)TFTP startup-config to workstation.

2.)Make changes

3.)TFTP changed config to startup-config on device.

4.)Schedule reload

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Peter,

Here's what I've done ...

1. Download the current startup config to your PC using TFTP;

2. Open the file using Wordpad (do not use Notepad);

3. Edit changes as they are and save the changes;

4. Copy the file back to your appliance using TFTP but re-naming it to a different name; and

5. When you want to invoke the new config, just do the command "copy flash: running-config".

Note: If you want to insure yourself that you won't get "locked out", before doing #5, schedule a reload so if the config fails, the router can reload and revert back to the old config.

Hope this helps.

I have heard that you can make multiple Conf file and can save in NVRAM. You have to change the file path so that after restarting the router, it will take the new path. I do not know how..if any body knows, please explain.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card