Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP Dial-peer load balancing

Hello,

What is the best approach to balance load between two VoIP dialpeers that point to two different session target?

Set the same preference option for both dialpeers?? A example:

dial-peer voice 11111 voip

destination-pattern 9999999

preference 1

progress_ind setup enable 3

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:74.125.45.103

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco

dial-peer voice 22222 voip

destination-pattern 9999999

preference 1

progress_ind setup enable 3

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:69.147.76.15

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, the default in this case would be to send calls to the 2 dial peers in a random order which essentially works out to be load balancing. Also, the "preference 1" command is not necessary since the default is preference 0. Without this command, both dial peers would still have the same preference.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, the default in this case would be to send calls to the 2 dial peers in a random order which essentially works out to be load balancing. Also, the "preference 1" command is not necessary since the default is preference 0. Without this command, both dial peers would still have the same preference.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Thanks for your answer.

I was wondering if there is something like Trunkgroup, but instead of working with channels work with IP Address?

Regards.

Not to my knowledge. Another way to accomplish this would be by using DNS, such as:

session target dns:device.domain.com

You could then use DNS to load balance.

I think multiple dial peers with IP addresses and the same preference would be a better solution because it does not depend on DNS.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

where i can find info on load balancing using dns?

thanks,

The exact implementation would depend on the DNS server that you are using. The following link gives a general description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS

Essentially, load balancing using DNS uses a round-robin algorithm to distribute the load. This method is not perfect, but may do the job for you.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

So it would load balance and not select the first dial peer configured?

Thanks,

With DNS load balancing, you would only have one dial peer. This dial peer would point to a FQDN such as gateways.domain.com. Your DNS server would then take care of the load balancing by distributing the calls among IP addresses that it has configured for gateways.domain.com.

Brandon

I would need to look into this more - but I believe IOS may cache the DNS reference it receives. I'm not 100% positive if it receives a reply with multiple IP addresses that it load balances. It should, just never seen or tested it myself. I would check this before depending on it.

-nick

Hi Brandon,

would you have a document that explains the configuration needed on the dns server and the gateyway? configuring the dns server seems challenging.

Another option would be to load balance using dial peers, is it done using hunt groups?

thanks for your feedback,

I've only seen POTS peers set up for hunt groups. I am curious how dial peers with IP addressing and not DNS will load balance. I thought the router would take the first configured dial peer in the configuration if two dial peers had the same match.

Same preference DPs are used round-robin, no matter if pots or voip.

That pretty much summarizes the way it works.

Great, thanks.

You're welcome, thank you for the nice rating and good luck.

Hi,

i have used these the below dial-peers and only the first one is matched:

dial-peer voice 3001 voip

destination-pattern 3002

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:10.1.1.101

dtmf-relay rtp-nte h245-signal h245-alphanumeric

codec g711ulaw

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 3002 voip

destination-pattern 3002

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:10.1.1.101

dtmf-relay rtp-nte h245-signal h245-alphanumeric

codec g711ulaw

no vad

thanks for your feedback,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: