cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Association User Name:unknown

dan474019
Level 1
Level 1

I have a wlc 4404 and 1131 LWAPPs distributed in my environment. Currently using WPA/PSK for user authentication. I receive These messages in the controller monitor:

Client Association: Client MAC:00:15:70:a8:88:b6 Base Radio MAC :00:1d:a2:84:9a:80 Slot: 0 User Name:unknown

I use Airwave AMP to monitor the wireless network. All but a few clients are labeled as "unknown".

I was told that it was because the bsnMobileStationUserName was not completed in SNMP.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

In WCS with WPA/PSK, all of my users are labeled as 'unknown'. I believe this is due to no user-based authentication. Is there anything different with the few users that you do have that show a username? Originally as I said, all of my users were unknown. Once I put up a guest access through the controller and authenticated the user/users off of acs, the username started showing up for that ssid. The same goes for when I started migrating to EAP-TLS machine authentication for corporate users, the machine name started showing up.

Yes I have done some testing with WPA and Radius authentication. I had to disable this wlan and halt testing due to a few b-radio barcode printers that would default away from PSK and try to authenticate, causing the printers to fail when attempting wireless connection.

We are using Airwave AMP product to monitor wireless network, not WCS. But as I understand, AMP pulls workstation name from a bsnMobileStationUsername. Odd thing is, the 5 names that are present all have different syntax. One is "JDoe", Another is "Domain\JDoe", and still another is "host/JDoe.domain.com" and "workstation\JDoe". I searched through PC registry looking for where this is coming from with no luck there.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card