Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Multicast

p.maillot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I use an 2960 with 8 IP cameras and I have a problem with the quality of the picture,very slow.

The recomendation of the manufacturer is to enable the multicast on the switch but how to do?

I have read that the igmp snooping is enable by default, there are something else to do to resolve my problem?

Regards

4 Replies 4

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Pascal

Where is the multicast source/group server hosted ? I mean the server which captures streaming of these IP cameras ? As you said, 2960 does support basic multicast feature with IGMP snooping commands.. I'm not sure if this would help you in anyway, since snooping would be required to keep track of multicast groups and member ports, if there is some protocol running (multicast protocols)... Can you check with the vendor as to what his exact requirements are ? Do you have any other L3 or higher end switch which supports advance multicast features ?

do these devices work on layer 3 ? if so, overlook the qos configurations, if the source/destinations are on different networks all-together..

Raj

Hi Raj,

The server is a DVR5100 of PELCO. This server require that the switch support the multicast.

All camera and server are connected on the same switch and on the same network.

I check with the vendor requirements.

Regards

cool.. forget qos then.. are these connected on a gig int or a 100mbps FE?? do ask them if the dvr5100 supports sending/receiving multicast streams and the group configurations on the server.. in any case, do you have any other higher end switch where you can configure multicast modes (if required) ?

Raj

I have somewhat similar scenario.

I have 2 4900M switches (one subnet) uplinked together. I need to constrain the multicast traffic to go out only where is requested. These are high-end L3 switches (4900M IP Base) what would be best way to implement multicast constrainment?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card